Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone have a bass at work?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FunkySpoo, Jun 4, 2002.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Just wondering, does anyone have a bass at work to play at lunch or something. I have an ABG and an acoustic guitar and a small amp that I keep under my desk. There are several people here that play so sometimes at lunch we get together and jam. Any body else?

2. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    i don't have anything at work, but i live about 3 miles from my office, so i try, at least once a week, to entice a lunch time jam at my place with some guitar players i work with. definitely makes the day a lot more interesting.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    packard should be here momentarily :rolleyes: it must be awesome to have the greatest job in the world ;)

4. apart from the cort 3535 on my desktop, no...

i mean.. when i'm at work.. i.. well.. work !
    no time for bass.. in my profession there is no such thing as 9-to-5 job, lunchbreaks and overtime.. :)

You eat with your right hand behind your desk, while compiling a new version of Apache on a SUN Enterprise 450, playing GTA3 on your laptop with your left hand, and having a phone clipped between your head and shoulder.

5. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    That sucks. The entire operation must come to a grinding halt if you get an itch ;)

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    On sunny days I'll take my Hanewinckel, my Pandora PX3B, and a set of headphones and spend lunchtime sitting in the trunkwell of my car (open of course) plunkin' out tunes. I should take a digicam to snap some of the looks I get as people coming back in from lunch walk by.

Those who know what my job is wonder how I could spend this time in this manner.

Those who know me know that it's just this sort of timeout that keeps me sane.

Peace,

James

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    It is :D I have a whole bunch of basses at work - and I don't have to wait till lunch to play! That's what they pay me to do.... :cool:

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Well...I don't always get to play 'em...but when I do, there are, within arm's reach:

Alembic
    Azola
    MTD
    Fodera
    Musicman
    Modulus
    Lakland
    Zon
    Pedulla
    Ken Smith
    Spector
    Wal
    Roscoe
    Godin
    Turner
    Warwick
    NS Design.....

....and then I can plug 'em into:

Eden
    Ashdown
    SWR
    Ampeg
    Epifani
    Bergantino
    Aguilar
    Demeter...

....mebbe I'm not as cool as the Pacman, but it's close! ;)

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I bring a bass to work on occasion. I'm sort of a tech EMT at a call center, so I have some time.

10. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I keep one in my office (whatever I feel like bringing in on Monday) with a headphone amp for practicing at lunch time. I love having an office with a door.

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    rub it in, why don't ya? guess who made e-6 today? :D

i didn't even think about gard...what up, basses hangin' everywhere :D

12. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Talk about rubbing it in!! :rolleyes: :D

Congrats, dude!

13. No, but I do at uni.
    Jim

14. The owner of the company has a band. So he has practice facilities on site. I haven't told many people I play, but I should prolly jam out w/ the boss and get the BIG raise lol.

I live very close to work, so I can go home at lunch if i want. It was way more fun when I was livin w/ my girlfriend and could come home for lunch lol.

15. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Well I aint got E6 yet, but hope to go to the board before they send me to Korea, whats up JP! So this is where you hang. It took 5 years to get E5 and I hope that E6 comes a little quicker.

Yup, another Military bass player here. But Jon has THE Gig Now!

Gonna have to go get that C1 bro. My folks live in Atlanta. Who is there now, you and Q are both gone.

Scott

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    ahhh, you guys do know each other ;) thanks packard. when are you going to be eligible for tech sergeant? :D if i could only get my bass past the marines in the limited area...that would rock!

17. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    As a photographer E6 is slide process chemistry. I'm guessing your E6 isn't the same thing.

18. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You suck. I hate you. And Pacman too. Die. *sniffle* :(

Well, at least I had time to play my Cirrus over lunch today... brought it with me since I'm taking the bus to rehearsal immediately after work. Man, it felt good today! Didn't want to stop! :D

19. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Scott, right now it's Greg Armijo and Jim Lambie, and they just got there.

Cross into the blue, man!! Everything's different when you do ;)

20. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Hey I know Jim, great guy and great player. Hey Jon, I just saw Jeff Harper.....he is here taking a class at Lee and he stopped in to have lunch w/ us. What a coinkydink eh. I think I may have to try the C1 first man. I got a 2.8 at the school, but I really stepped on it in my audition. I think that I got a fair score from my performance that day. We shall see.

Take care.

Sorry for high-jackin this thread.