Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone have a Gibson...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Microbass, Oct 16, 2002.

1. hey all, I'm just wondering if anyone has a Gibson Grabber (any model) or Gibson Ripper (any model)?

Feedback on how well they play, feel etc.. would be thankful :D

2. I have a G-3, the middle brother with 3 single coils, and it is a fine sounding and playing bass. The neck is a bit chunky but very fast. The output is a bit low but I use a preamp with it and it works just fine. Right now it has old old flatwounds and I'm using it for recording a C&W project featuring fiddle and pedal steel, it sits nice and low in the tracks.

3. I owned a Ripper until very recently and it was a very fine bass. I only sold it because I frankly felt I had too many instruments and needed to reduce my collection a bit. I still have a Gibson RD Artist which is a very exceptional bass as well.

Anyway, the Ripper was IMO one of the best Gibsons ever produced. It was considered the "deluxe" model among the Ripper/Grabber/G3 series of basses. 2 humbuckers (passive), a glued neck and very unique controls - a passive treble cut and a passive midrange cut. The midrange control is VERY useful for scooping the mids - which will give a much more "Fender" type tone - i.e. setting the mid control at about 2 or 3 will give you a rather "Fender"ish tone. In general, the Ripper has a very smooth yet very clear tone. Clear is not a word often associated with many Gibson basses, but the Ripper is a true exception to this notion.

They are relatively cheap on the used market as far as vintage instruments are concerned. I highly recommend them.

Again, IMO, the Ripper is the best of the three basses.

4. I had a G-3 about 20 years ago. As I recall, it has a pretty thick neck, but as has been said, it was relatively fast. Actually, I think it was I who was fast. :D

Had somewhat of a midrangy tone (not very bright), but I ran everything from roundwounds to tape wounds (for jazz). Very decent bass, nice natural finish. I sometimes wich I had it back. Practically gave it away.

They can be found from time to time on eBay. I've seen them go for around $350 to $450, as I recall.

5. I had a G-3 and a Ripper. Liked them both, but preferred the Ripper. It seemed to have more thump, and cool looks too!!.

6. I still own a Gibson Ripper, which I bought new in '74. The bridge pick up died, and was rewound by Kent Armstrong. The Ripper was one of the brightest Gibson basses, and the rewound pick up is a little brighter yet. I play a Fender Jazz most of the time, but will bring the Ripper out when more punch is needed.

john

7. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

[​IMG]

It's a `79. Got a pretty good deal on it from Bass NW :).

What I love about it most is the fretboard...old-growth (close grained)
    black ebony that's about twice as thick as any of my other basses.

Bottom Line: VERY solid feel - like hittin' a brick wall :D.

8. lol @ notduane

Thanks for the input guys!

Now, I'm not after a really rbight tone to be honest - i think, i'm looking for that, thumpy, crunchy, punchy, with a bt of treble, IE - Mike Dirnt (Green Day) on Insomniac, Dookie, Slappy Hours & Kerplunk.

I think he used guitar speakers to get a higher output with his gibson, or to get a perticuler sound, but I saw in a video he was using anguiler cabs.. *shrugs*

Anyway, the G3 is what I was wanting, but I want to know from you guys.. D'ya think a lot of G3's will had dead pickups? I can't afford 400 bucks, then another 100'ish for new pups! :(

[edit] Great pix, not :D

9. I'd have to say I quite disagree that the Ripper is an especially bright sounding bass. I find it to be rather warm, punchy and smooth (yet very clear). Sure it has some more top end then, say, an EB-0, EB-2 or EB-3 but it really just sounds a bit more 'normal'. It can sound a good deal like a Fender Jazz if you dial the midrange control well down.

10. Not especially bright, just brighter than most Gibsons

John

11. OK, thanks for the input, all of ya :D

Again I ask:... Would it be likely that the pickups on either or both of these basses have bad output?

as I said.. I don't have 400 bux as it is, nevermind another 100 or so for pups :(

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Regarding the Ripper:

They can be bright, or they can be mellow.

Actually they can be alot of things.

They do have that five way dial that selects a bunch of different coil configs and tone circuits. use that with the trebble and mid cut tone knobs, and Im pretty sure you can get any kind of tone you want.

Peace
    Nick

13. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    Why does everyone say that Mike Dirnt played a ripper during Dookie? If you see him playing it you can obviously tell it's a G3 or a Grabber because of the headstock.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Or just check out the PUs.

True though. the pointy HS is a dead giveaway.

I think the G3 had a black headstock while the Grabber matched the body.

Peace
    Nick