Does anyone have a picture of Lee Sklar without a beard?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Blackbird, May 26, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I just thought it would be interesting to see...
  2. you know... I don't really think a picture of him without a beard exists.

and all my google search gave me was that he has often played with a guy named Jim Beard... :rolleyes:

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    maybe i can photoshop it

EDIT: Forget it! that thing is huge! :eek:
  4. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I think he was born with it.

Has anyone seen a picture of Tony Levin not being bald?
  5. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    This is a tangent but it was kind of cool, to me. In 1979 during James Taylor's tour to support the Flag album, I ended up getting one front row seat to the Greek Theater. Went by myself. Lee Sklar was on bass. They did this really goofy version of Summertime Blues as an encore and there was Leland hopping around, with that beard bouncing and swinging in the air. It was silly and joyous and that song always stood out and I never forgot it. Well the other night, late at night, there was a video of it, (VH1 classic) so 23 years later I got to see that performance again.

That was a good band behind JT. Lee on bass. Russ Kunkel on drums. Dan Dugmore. Waddy Wachtel on lead guitar. That dude had some seriously krimped hair, the counterpart to Lee's beard.
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Sklar, IMO, hasn't aged a bit since the '70s...

One thing I do recall reading about him(from a '70s Guitar Player mag)-
    Sklar sez people tend to think of him as a Folk bassist...seemingly, he was the 1st call for artists like James Taylor, Jackson Browne, etc.
    In reality, he's pretty versatile & had the chops to pull off the Jazz-Fusion that was was happenin' back then.
    It is Sklar on Billy Cobham's Spectrum album...a classic '70s Fusion recording.
    Also, Sklar was in a "Fusion-y" type band called The Section...Kunkel on cans + Danny Korchmar on guitar(back in the day, they sometimes opened for James Taylor).

Oh yeah-
    One of Sklar's practice thingees when he was learning to play the bass-
    Put on a LP(33 1/3 rpm)& set the turnatable to 45rpm...try practicing something like "I Saw Her Standing There" @that quick tempo. Then, later, go back to 33 1/3rpm & hear how much space you'll have(to throw in other fills & s***). ;)
  7. wow...i should try that!!!
  8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    i have a image response for that:

i call it "Beard Transplant"

PS:The original idea was Levin with hair next to Sklar with no beard, but Sklar Beard is impossible! I did it but he looked like 50 years younger and totally different... but not so cool.
  9. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002
    Didn't Lee play on Billy Thorpe's Children of the Sun?????

The only member in ZZTOP that doesn't have a beard is FRANK BEARD
  10. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Some Clams have beards:D