Does anyone have a Sadowsky Ultra Vintage?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Brown, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Mmmmm... a 5-string Sadowsky Geddy. Sounds tempting.
  2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Thats what I'm thinking of doing. Black, maple board, black blocks, but change the guard to black. NICE

3. On Order

I went to the Sadowsky shop and played various MV & RV 5's plus the new Ultra Vintage for about 2 hours. I was hooked and I couldn't resist so I sold my Fender 62' Jazz RI and placed an order for a new MV5 Ultra Vintage with VTC. Translucent Blue with white mother of pearl block inlays on a maple board with white banding. I know there aren't any pictures as of yet on this new line so I took the liberty to combine an old Tokyo model with maple board and white block inlays with a NYC Translucent Blue bass. The new Ultra Vintage will look just like this picture with the exception that it won't have the quilted top. The top is still quite beautiful with the wood grain showing through the translucent blue. It looks like the back of the NYC ( I need to catch my breath it looks sooo cool).

This is my picture creation so please don't blame Roger if the quality of the picture isn't so terrific. Also there may be slight differences between this picture and the actual bass. I did it so I can drool for the next 3-5 months while I wait for the bass to get here.

Attached Files:

4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Congrats! can you describe the tonal differences you heard between the MV5 and the RV5's? and How about any total differences between the UV and the Regular Metro's? Or was your decision more purely bassed on the 70's Block inlay vibe?

Questions I have:
    1.) Is the UV Sadowsky
    much heavier than the MV5's? The body is full size as I recall.

2.) Are the UV Series just Tokyo's with Metro electronics? Or are they much different from the Tokyo' series?

3.) Is there an MSRP price point like the Metro's? IF so, since it is list pricing, can you share what the price of a UV MV5 will be?

4.) Is the neck profile the same as the Metro MV5?
  5. Inquiring minds want to know.......including me...

6. Let me tell you that I feel they both sound great. In my opinion the MV5 is a little brighter and snapper in tone while the RV5 is a little smoother in character. I have 4 other basses with rosewood or pao fero fingerboards so I wanted a maple board to spice things up. The block inlays come with both the UV70 MB and UV70 RW. You have a choice of either black or white mother of pearl. I chose the white vs. black since the black is to in your face for my taste. I decided on the UV70 vs the the MV5 for two reasons. The first is because I felt the tone was noticably more focused especialy helpful for slap but just great all around defination. The second is I love the way it looks.
    To answer your other questions,
    1.As you may or may not know there is a weight range in the Metro line. I'm not exactly sure what it is but it is somthing like 9-9 1/2 lbs. The specs say 1 - 1 1/2 lbs. heavier than NYC basses which are extremly light due to the chambered bodies which are around 8 - 8.25 lbs.
    2.I don't know the answer to this except that I know Roger has partnered up with a very fine Lutheier in Tokyo.
    3.I just noticed that the UV's have been added to the Sadowsky web site. Both 4 & 5 String in Natural with White Block inlays. The prices are $2,400 for 4 string and $2,600 for the 5.
    4. The neck profile feels the same but with the white binding is much more pleasing to my eye when I look at the neck. Plus with the white binding the black position markers really stand out which is great in low light situations.
    I know this is a pretty pricey bass so if price is an issue then this may not be for you. However, if a truly exceptional instrument is what you are looking for. You owe it to your self to try it. Just as an aside, I went to try this bass with the hopes I wouldn't find it worth the money. Well I orederd one so the rest is history. Good Luck.
  7. That settles it.....! I am going to have to get me one too.....a UV70 MW 5 with White Blocks/Inlays and DEFINITELY a VTC is going to be mine, think I'll order one this week!!!!

8. Salsjag...

Thanks for the info....I ordered my Natural Ultra Vintage 5 with White Blocks and Binding from Kevin today...Maybe ours will be in the same 5 should be here at the end of May!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy!! I KNOW I will...this will be my second Sadowsky......see my Avatar for numero uno.......

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    woah sal!!!

i'm purely a "vintage" color kinda guy, but that's a sweet lookin' photoshop pic. very :cool: