1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

does anyone have a sansamp acoustic di?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Boozy, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    well, I'm curious about the mid shift on that little bad boy.. and if I like the mid shift, will the acoustic di be basically the same as the bass di (but with a mid freq control)? or can you automatically tell the differance between the 2 (does the acoustic di eliminate our electric bass frequencies or something like that)?

basically, I'm hoping I can convince someone to give me a short recording of them simply plucking on their E string while rotating that mid shift knob from left to right, etc... doesnt have to be a good recording, just using any amp with the acoustic di as your preamp and use the mic already hooked up to your PC.. (you know, start menu/programs/accessories/entertainment/sound recorder)..

if anyone would be willing to do this for me, i'd certainly appreciate it.. maybe even give you a gift for the hassle?

any comments, etc, very welcome.. the more info the better :)

thanks a bunch

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Yes, I have an Acoustic DI and love it. And no, it does not eliminate any frequencies -- it's pretty polite that way.

The Acoustic has Mid level and mid freq where the BDDI has Drive and Presence. So on the Acoustic, it's a little harder to set the drive level -- the instrument signal level affects it, so if you turn up the instrument volume, you have to reduce the Blend knob to keep it approximately the same. But I do know that the drive circuit itself is the same on both units. ANd, the Acoustic does not have the "stomp switch"; but I use mine in "set it and forget it" mode -- it's ALWAYS on.

Anyway, without making the recording (I don't have the right adapters), I can tell you if you play fretless you GOTTA get a mid-shift. I sing the praises of the Acoustic for use with bass to anyone who'll listen. It was the piece of gear that FINALLY gave me "my" sound -- and I can plug it direct into any PA, and it comes out sounding like me. I have played gigs with no amp, JUST the Acoustic through the PA, and it was perfectly acceptable.

Bass Player mag did a "shootout" of a bunch of DI boxes a couple of years ago, and the Acoustic scored very highly. Maybe you can find it on their website.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have one. What Eli said.

4. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    thanks for the input.. I might have to buy one just to try it out.. so damn expensive curing the curiosity!

5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Look on ebay or harmony-central.com first -- you might be able to find on second-hand for lots cheaper than new. I think new is right around US$190 at all the big mail-order houses.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    $156 at GC, if you threaten the salesman's family.

7. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    I love my SansAmp Acoustic DI. I use it primarily on upright but it sounds great on slab bass too. I LOVE the parametric mid control.

Turnin up the "tube" sound seems to change the overtone series in a subtle but effective way. It also seems to add some compression.

Can't imagine NOT using it. Got mine for $25!

Touch.