Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

does anyone have a sansamp acoustic di?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Boozy, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    well, I'm curious about the mid shift on that little bad boy.. and if I like the mid shift, will the acoustic di be basically the same as the bass di (but with a mid freq control)? or can you automatically tell the differance between the 2 (does the acoustic di eliminate our electric bass frequencies or something like that)?

basically, I'm hoping I can convince someone to give me a short recording of them simply plucking on their E string while rotating that mid shift knob from left to right, etc... doesnt have to be a good recording, just using any amp with the acoustic di as your preamp and use the mic already hooked up to your PC.. (you know, start menu/programs/accessories/entertainment/sound recorder)..

if anyone would be willing to do this for me, i'd certainly appreciate it.. maybe even give you a gift for the hassle?

any comments, etc, very welcome.. the more info the better :)

thanks a bunch

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Yes, I have an Acoustic DI and love it. And no, it does not eliminate any frequencies -- it's pretty polite that way.

The Acoustic has Mid level and mid freq where the BDDI has Drive and Presence. So on the Acoustic, it's a little harder to set the drive level -- the instrument signal level affects it, so if you turn up the instrument volume, you have to reduce the Blend knob to keep it approximately the same. But I do know that the drive circuit itself is the same on both units. ANd, the Acoustic does not have the "stomp switch"; but I use mine in "set it and forget it" mode -- it's ALWAYS on.

Anyway, without making the recording (I don't have the right adapters), I can tell you if you play fretless you GOTTA get a mid-shift. I sing the praises of the Acoustic for use with bass to anyone who'll listen. It was the piece of gear that FINALLY gave me "my" sound -- and I can plug it direct into any PA, and it comes out sounding like me. I have played gigs with no amp, JUST the Acoustic through the PA, and it was perfectly acceptable.

Bass Player mag did a "shootout" of a bunch of DI boxes a couple of years ago, and the Acoustic scored very highly. Maybe you can find it on their website.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have one. What Eli said.

4. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    thanks for the input.. I might have to buy one just to try it out.. so damn expensive curing the curiosity!

5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Look on ebay or harmony-central.com first -- you might be able to find on second-hand for lots cheaper than new. I think new is right around US$190 at all the big mail-order houses.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    $156 at GC, if you threaten the salesman's family.

7. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    I love my SansAmp Acoustic DI. I use it primarily on upright but it sounds great on slab bass too. I LOVE the parametric mid control.

Turnin up the "tube" sound seems to change the overtone series in a subtle but effective way. It also seems to add some compression.

Can't imagine NOT using it. Got mine for $25!

Touch.