Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

does anyone have a stingray 5 with a high c?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cods, Sep 16, 2003.

1. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    if so,how does it sound?

2. I don't but I know Tony Levin used a fretless 'Ray5 tuned EADGC on certain songs on his album "Waters Of Eden".

I don't see any reasons why it shouldn't sound good, if you have the right strings. :)

3. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    would the nut have to be replaced?

4. yes

5. Mmm, I guess it would be better, ultimately. But I tried that tuning on a cheapo Vantage I once had and didn't replace the nut, and it worked fine.

6. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Yep, I do. It sounds great! Typical Stingray, and the C sounds really cool for popping and stuff, as well as for nice melodies and also chordal work.

I didn't change the nut. I was considering doing it, but I decided to experiment first, and it seemed fine as it was.

7. you won't need to; what happens when you wanna swap back?

Just put a piece of paper in there!

8. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    I had my Spector tuned ADGC for months. I didn't change the nut, and it worked wonderfully.

--Matthew

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ''

um wouldnt u have to put a piece of paper in every slot, since every string moves over one?

10. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    You don't have to do anything of the sort. Just put EADGC strings on it and be done with it!! And then when you want to tune it normally, just but BEADG strings on it!!!

--Matthew

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    But the nut has different sized slots for each string....

12. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    With "Tenor" strings on, the strings aren't any closer to the neck or the frets than with standard strings.

Also, the space on either side of the strings while sitting in the nut doesn't make a bit of difference. As long as the center of the string is sitting in the center of the nut slot, you're fine.

Trust me--I've done this before. You don't need to make any modifications to your bass.

--Matthew