1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone have agent funk and brown dog?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JLP, Mar 15, 2008.

1. JLP

JLP

Mar 15, 2008
    I'm new to this site. I currently use a mooger 101 and am not quite getting what I want. I am thinking the chunk setup might be what I want but there are none localy (Detroit) to try out. Does anyone use them and how do they sound?

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I've tried both but only in the store, but I know there are plenty of TBers who have both and could help you out. But it would help if we knew what kinds of sounds/music you are trying to make. Otherwise all you'll get is people's opinion of whether or not they work well for THEIR purposes rather than yours.

3. JLP

JLP

Mar 15, 2008
    It's a rock-funk kinda vibe. Upbeat tempos with strong bass and drums. I'm looking for fuzz for a few tunes but what I've tried hasn't worked with the mooger. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What fuzzes have you tried? And did you check out the sound clips on the Chunk site?

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Well, your description helps a bit, but being more specific would help even more. Is there a fuzz tone that you could point to as close to what you want?

I can give you my impressions of the Brown Dog from my brief experience with it. For me, I was torn regarding this pedal. I've been looking for a very deep, wall of fuzz type pedal and I knew the Chunk wasn't really made for that. But it was really versatile. Fiddling with the knobs gave me quite a few sounds, including one that sounded pretty close to the bass from Curtis Mayfield's Superfly which was a bit surprising to me. (I believe that a Brassmaster was used on that album). But I digress.

To me, the Brown Dog wasn't deep enough sounding to me, but it was really cool for making synthy type sounds which I think would work well in a funk band. The gate control, clean blend and the fact that it works with active basses made me consider buying one and still looking for another fuzz to do the chugging fuzz sound that I want.

The 00Funk is cool. Not my favorite filter, primarily because I like fatter, less quacky and more organic sounds, but definitely check out the samples on their page. To me, the 00Funk excels at doing synthy filter sounds. In fact, the Brown Dog and 00Funk together sound great for doing synth type stuff. Check out the clips of them together. I could imagine some PFunk/Snoop Dogg type passages using them though I'm basing that on the clips since personally I never tried them together.

Personally, now that Chunk is building a synth that incorporates their fuzz and filter (the Octavius Squeezer) I've made up my mind to buy that.

Somewhere in this rambling I hope there's been some info that's helpful to you. As a final note, I found the clips on Chunk's site to be good representations of what you can do with this pedal. If you like those (and it's capable of many other sounds) then I'd recommend checking one out.