1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anyone have any bridge intonation screws?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by marc40a, Apr 22, 2009.

1. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    If so, I'm interested.

If not, I may have to place a an order for some and I'll let you guys know if I do - I'll have a ton left over.

2. The screws on my G&L L2500 were too short to get the intonation correct so my friend made some for me as the thread type was not readily available in the UK

3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Try the hardware store- if you live close to a decent one, they'll probably have machine screws you can use (though somtimes the heads will be a little different).

Karl

4. The thread type is not available in most places outside of the USA, I was in Cyprus and they'd never seen the "Type UNC 32 threads per inch" that were on my L2500. luckily a friend of mine in the UK had the dies to make some up for me and post them.
    Surely it is a backward step using such an obscure thread on an internationaly sold instrument.

5. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Back in the day metric screws in the USA were about as hard to come by as SAE, 8/32 et al, outside of the USA.

The ol ones were 8/32 threads but may now be metric.

Anyhow the lengths are varied so possibly you could remove the others to mix and match proper lengths.

Jim

6. Sadly none of the screws were long enough to swap places. I prefer a low action; none of the existing screws were long enough to move some of the saddles far enough foreward to get the correct intonation.
    My L2500 was brought into the UK from the U.S by a tourist so maybe the screws on the U.S models are different.

7. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Measured a few in the past and they were......

Intonation.........8/32.......: Length 1.140, 1.245, 1.245, 1.390*

*measured an unused set from G&L. The 4 lengths go EADG shortest to longest

Jim

8. Thanks; out of interest I'll dig out the originals and measure them, the screws that my friend made and posted to Cyprus were all over length so that I could cut them to the required length.

9. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ah, sorry- my post was in response to the original poster (from Boston). Stinks I agree that it stinks that every little thing is so specialized- I don't know how much hardware I have around my house that I bought and actually turned out to be incompatible in some measurement or another with the project I was working on...

Karl

10. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA

I'm having the same problem with a USA L2000 and was wondering if you ever found the right screws and where. Before I go hop in the car to search, I thought I would check here. If all 4 were just 1/4" longer it would be perfect for any action height probably.

11. What you could do is buy a die (UNC 32 thread per inch) and convert some bolts that are slightly oversize.
    This may sound difficult but it isn't really.

12. Mrdak

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    Thanks anyway, but for those of us with this problem, just remove the screws and the springs. Then use and adjust it just like a Spector bridge. The locking screw holds it all in place just fine. In my oppinion, it's a good and bad design flaw. Shipping these basses out with different length screws is the only real issue. But hey, the locking bridge was ingenieous. Now My L2000 sets up and intonates like a dream..... Another tip.. Remember to set your intonation while your bass in on your knee in the playing position. Don't lay it down on it's back. Might be good if you lay down on the job all the time.... Not if you play standing up though. :smug:

You guys should try this.... it works great.

13. Mrdak

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    You know what I forgot to mention? I haven't a clue why, but without the screws and springs, I'm getting like, zero fret noise in the same areas of the neck that were somewhat noisey before I did this. Maybe because it's lower, like where I'm used to playing my other basses. Who knew! Hope it helps someone.
    Thanks Bassman62... appreciated all the same, but maybe you can try this.

14. It's funny that you should come up with that but until the replacement screws arrived I did play with a couple of the saddles minus the screws.

Great minds Eh What.

15. Mrdak

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    Ha ha.... It's no problem for me using my fingers to move the saddles when intonating. Think about it, unless you're changing string all the time, how often does it need adjustment? Not too often for me. It might not look perfect, but if it works perfect, i'm cool with it.