Does anyone have any experience with silent trumpets?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wrong Robot, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Lately I've been wanting to dust off my old trumpet and utilize it in my recordings. However, living in an apartment complex kind of prevents me from really digging into trumpet practice. Especially since I haven't touched a trumpet in years. So, I am aware that there are trumpet muting systems that also double as microphones.

Does anyone here have any experience with them? Are they suitable for recording with? do they really silence the trumpet(at least enough to not make it a nuisance for the rest of the complex)?
  2. whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    Silent trumpets?

I hear them all the time... :p
  3. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I had a pocket trumpet and a mute with earphones that worked like a stethoscope. Yes it's very quiet but the back pressure goes way up. Yamaha makes a more expensive one with a mic, didn't try that. I think mine was called a peacekeeper or something like that.
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    The silent trumpet will cut the volume enough to use in an apartment, easily. I'm not sure how good the recording would be if you used it for that.

All our guys at work use them, and I keep asking "If it's a silent trumpet, how come I can still hear you?" :D
  5. Good question!
    Trumpet was my very first instrument in grade school. I wouldn't mind getting one myself but have the same problem.

Here is a user review from MF on the Yamaha SB79 Silent Brass