1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone have any experiences with Hondo II SD Curlee basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spirit of Ox, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    I have my eye on one of these and I would like to know if anyone has any experiences or knowledge of these bases. I have 4 Fenders and I want something different plus I need the 24th fret for a song I am doing. My other choice would be a cheaper Spector.]

S D Curlee Hondo II Bass Signature Series | eBay

2. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I've played a few and remember thinking they were really quite nice. This would have been early-mid 1980s. I know a few people on here have talked them up, so hopefully they will chime in as my experience with them is so limited.

that one looks pretty sharp. Not sure I'd go any over $350 though. Seems a little high to me--not because it's not a nice bass, but just because you can usually find most Hondos a little lower.

Some Hondos were really good. They also made lower level stuff, but the Curlees are supposed to be among the better ones they made, and that's been my experience.

3. duckman

duckman

Jan 16, 2011
    Ghent Belgium
    Yep... A bit pricey. You used to get decent USA Curlee standards for the asking price.
    Don't know about the hondo's, but as much as I love the american mades, they were prone to truss rod issues.
    Nice to see hondo also copied the funky Yankee body shape...really like that

4. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    Thanks for the input. Maybe I'll see if this guy goes down in price.

5. OEW3

OEW3

Nov 6, 2011
    USA
    I love that old Hondo stuff. She's a beauty. A bit pricey though at a buy now of five hundred, imo.