Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone have Bartolinis in their Marcus Miller?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Nov 10, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Well, how about it? Anyone replace the pickups and/or pre in their Miller bass with Bartolini? I'm thinking about a Bartolini pickup and pre set for my Marcus Miller bass. It plays wonderfully and feels great, but I'm thinking I would like to change the sound to something deeper. I was initially attracted to the super-bright tone, but find myself trying to dial in the low-mids that don't really seem to be there. I have Bartolinis on my fretless jazz and they give me a tone similar to what I'm looking for.

Any thoughts or experiences?

2. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    I've been more active on these boards lately because of a used MM bass I picked up a couple weeks ago. It came with Bart 9J's installed. I can't speak for the stock pickups, but I bought the bass after 5-10 minutes of playing it because it sounded superb. I thought it would be all bass and treble, but I don't know... Maybe the Barts gave it a warmer deeper sound that I prefer. The mids came out with a nice texture as well.

Now the stock preamp is something I'm growing to dislike. I love the passive tone of the Barts, and I'm just not into the sound when I flip on the preamp (it takes the complexity, woodiness, organic sound, etc. out of the midrange). Even when I set the preamp to the same level as passive mode, there is a coloration of sound that my ears don't like. I'm considering the Aguilar OBP-3 or Bart NTMB, which I understand should be most transparent.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, I was thinking about the Bartolini preamp to go along. Since those come with a push-pull active-passive switch, I might try to use the existing switch as a series-parallel. Otherwise, I'd have a non-operating switch, and no one wants that.

4. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    you might want to checkout the Duncan Tone Circuit 3-band. those are quite nice with a slap-contour switch!

but you really cant go wrong with the Aggie. never tried working with Barts yet.

5. Georg77

Georg77

Nov 13, 2005
    sry bad english now.....
    I have tested the bartolini 9w4 JazzBassPUs in the MMillerJazzBass and they sounded very good - warm, low-end but precise and soft punchy sweet low-mids. The highs are smoother and not so aggressive as the origs. The fingerpicking response are much better as the origs but the Miller-Slaptone is not so good. Its not a bad slapsound, its only another. At all the Bass have much more soul. Georg77