Does anyone have Bartolinis in their Marcus Miller?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Nov 10, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Well, how about it? Anyone replace the pickups and/or pre in their Miller bass with Bartolini? I'm thinking about a Bartolini pickup and pre set for my Marcus Miller bass. It plays wonderfully and feels great, but I'm thinking I would like to change the sound to something deeper. I was initially attracted to the super-bright tone, but find myself trying to dial in the low-mids that don't really seem to be there. I have Bartolinis on my fretless jazz and they give me a tone similar to what I'm looking for.

Any thoughts or experiences?
  2. telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    I've been more active on these boards lately because of a used MM bass I picked up a couple weeks ago. It came with Bart 9J's installed. I can't speak for the stock pickups, but I bought the bass after 5-10 minutes of playing it because it sounded superb. I thought it would be all bass and treble, but I don't know... Maybe the Barts gave it a warmer deeper sound that I prefer. The mids came out with a nice texture as well.

Now the stock preamp is something I'm growing to dislike. I love the passive tone of the Barts, and I'm just not into the sound when I flip on the preamp (it takes the complexity, woodiness, organic sound, etc. out of the midrange). Even when I set the preamp to the same level as passive mode, there is a coloration of sound that my ears don't like. I'm considering the Aguilar OBP-3 or Bart NTMB, which I understand should be most transparent.
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Yeah, I was thinking about the Bartolini preamp to go along. Since those come with a push-pull active-passive switch, I might try to use the existing switch as a series-parallel. Otherwise, I'd have a non-operating switch, and no one wants that.
  4. mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    you might want to checkout the Duncan Tone Circuit 3-band. those are quite nice with a slap-contour switch!

but you really cant go wrong with the Aggie. never tried working with Barts yet.
  5. Georg77

Nov 13, 2005
    sry bad english now.....
    I have tested the bartolini 9w4 JazzBassPUs in the MMillerJazzBass and they sounded very good - warm, low-end but precise and soft punchy sweet low-mids. The highs are smoother and not so aggressive as the origs. The fingerpicking response are much better as the origs but the Miller-Slaptone is not so good. Its not a bad slapsound, its only another. At all the Bass have much more soul. Georg77