Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

does anyone have info on jerzy drozd basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by furiously funky, Mar 28, 2003.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    I would love to know as much as possible about jerzy drozd's basses. i've been to his web site, but i would love to have some opinions please.

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
  3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've played 6 different Jerzy Drozd basses and put a deposit down on this one:

[​IMG]

What would you like to know?

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    RAM - that is one fabulous-looking bass. I've seen one in person, and played it. They're at the top of my list in boutique basses.

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yowzers RAM! :eek: That is bee-yu-ti-ful!
    I remember having Jerzy Drozds and Conklin plastered on my notebooks in high school. I truely believe what Jerzy Drozd says about the bass being art. Thiers are masterpieces.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Thankyou very much!!!:D

I've played many wonderful basses in my quest to find the ultimate bass. I don't know if there's a single perfect bass, but this one sure caught my eye!

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    gah, they're so freaking beautiful. my favorite is this one.

[​IMG]

8. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    what do they feel like? how is jerze to work with? what do they sound like? how is he with flexability for customizing??
    thanks for your help RAM
    ~marty

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've never talked to him, I go through Luthier's Access Group. Their motto is that they'd prefer you custom order, rather than buy something "off the rack."

That said, I've asked Dan Lenard (of Luthiers Access Group) dozens of questions, and Jerzy Drozd has been very helpful with the answers I've gotten through Dan. The basic idea, again, is that everything is customizable. It's one of the reasons I chose Jerzy over other Luthiers who shall remain nameless.

Jerzy necks (which, again, can be customized according to your preference), are thin. The string-spacing is "average": I think it's 18mm on a 6-string, though don't quote me on that.

Jerzy seems, from my dealings with Dan, to be 100% flexible. Although I haven't spoken with him, he seems open to do just about anything I ask. He sees his basses as works of art, and really takes good care of his work.

One thing I will say, is that I've never seen a more flawless bass. The amount of work that he must put into each one is tremendous! Every seam, every joint, every grain, every rout...all completely flawless. And, I've seen 6 or 7 different ones. Many of the hand built high-end basses I've seen have had at least SOME tiny flaw, but not Jerzy Drozd.

As far as the sound goes, I don't really know what to say. I think they're extremely versatile, but because he uses different options according to what the buyer wants, it's impossible to say. For example, he sometimes uses MIDI pickups, Bartolini pickups, EMG pickups, he's said he'd use Aero pickups, and I'm sure just about anything else you want. He uses single-coil, humbucker, stacked humbucker, p-shape, and probably MM, if you want. As far as preamps, he's used Bartolini preamps (which is in mine), Aguilar (I believe), and a few others (possibly EMG???). He's now in the process of developing his own pickups, though I have no idea what they sound like. The bass pictured above was customized a little more for me. I asked that a 3-band mid-selector and a pair of coil taps be added, so there's now 3 little switches between the knobs and the bridge.

Furthermore, as far as tone goes, he uses whatever wood combinations you want. Even the bridge is customizable. He's got a new(er) 2-piece signature bridge, as well as ABM bridges, which I know he's used a lot.

Oh...other customizations that I fell in love with were the fact that the top is 1/2 the thickness of the bass, meaning it's no mere laminate. Also, the knobs are wooden. In addition, the nut is ebony. He uses standard brass nuts and metal knobs, too, if that's what you want. He has 2 bolt-on, 2 neck-through, and 1 hollow-body model. I went with a neck-through.

In fact, my bass has a walnut body and a zebrawood top. There's also another piece of wood between the two, which I think might be ebony or wenge, though I can't be sure...I just know it's a very dark-colored wood. I have a 5-piece neck with alternating wenge and bubinga. 2 trussrods are adjustable at the body. Bartolini soapbars. Gold hardware, straplocks, and of course the birds-eye knobs.

With that many customizations, it's really not easy to describe his tone. But, I will say that I looked very seriously at MTD and Elrick, and have played many other basses, including Roscoe, Fodera, Stambaugh, Chris Larkin, Wal, Alembic, Modulus, Spector, Lakland, Ken Lawrence, and others before settling on Jerzy Drozd.

I hope this helps.:D