Does anyone have (or have tried) a Yamaha RBX 765A

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fleabass89, Feb 25, 2001.

1. So far, it's #1 on the list of 5-string basses that I keep in my head somewhere. To anyone that has one (or has tried one), What did you think of it and would you recommend it?
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    IMO, a lot of bass for the money. Like any (most) sub $1000 Yamaha's. I have only played it in stores, though, so don't listen too much to what I say.

That green one is luscious! Yummy... :D
  3. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    Two words - Yes Mate.

This is a very sexy bass if you are into 5's. I've got the 4 string version of this and love it. As said above IMO you'll find it hard to get a better sounding bass for less than £1000, less still one with active electronics, adjustable pots, good setup from the factory (all I've done to mine is lower the action a little {personal preference}) and oodles of funk styléé!

I got the 4 string version (760a) as I prefer them but as has probably been said b4, try it out. My band play loads of different styles but mainly funk, jazz, soul, ska, and reggae and I have no problems getting a good sound with anything from fingerstyle to slapping.

hope this helps dood.

cheers - Niggy

check it - - my band
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've played a few & I like em. I don't remember the price so I can't give you a good comparason. I liked the G&L 2500 & Spector NS-5 CR better. Both cost about $1200 new.
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    FYI: An RBX765A can go for less than half of that. :)
  6. Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    As far as I can tell, the Yamaha BBG5S has the same features as the RBX765A, minus the ash on the body. It also has a slightly different body style. I have the 4-string version, the BBG4S, and i think it's a great bass.

All this to say that the BBG5S is a chunk cheaper than the RBX765A, and the only differences are the ones i mentioned above. (Correct me if i'm wrong). If the Low-B is good, i can recommend the rest of this bass wholeheartedly.

Hope this helps some...
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I was seriously considering one of these until I decided that I could afford to spend over a grand on a good 5 string.

For the price, it is a good bass, excellent fit & finish, great fretwork, good B for this price range, etc.

The only thing that I didn't like was the tone. It sounds kinda generic to me. Of course, with an active preamp, you can tweak it a little, but the preamp is kinda noisy too.

Like most 5 strings under $1000, it could use better electronics and pickups, but that is to be expected in this price range. And who knows, the tone might knock you out! We all have our preferences, and tone is the most subjective of all. One mans Samick is another mans Pedulla, or something. :)