1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anyone have the West Side Story bass score to lend?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sleeplessknight, Jan 1, 2012.

1. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    Hey all, apologies if this is the wrong forum for this kind of question, but I wanted to ask: Does anyone have a copy of the bass score to West Side Story? I just received word that I'll be playing the bass part in a local theater production this March, and the theater group tends to pass around the scores a week or two before opening night. I've been listening to the soundtrack pretty regularly, and it seems pretty... involved :D I don't know if two weeks prep time is going to be enough for me to have it down as tight as I want it to be, so I figured I'd ask around to see if anyone had a copy I could borrow for a day so I could scan it and practice on my own. I would of course be happy to pay for the cost of shipping should anyone not in the Boston area be amenable to lending it to me!

2. Mirios

Mirios

Dec 29, 2010
    Boise, Idaho
    A quick search came up with this vocal score. Has some bass parts not sure how true to the full orchestrated lines they are.

Partitura - West Side Story - Complete Score

Hope it helps. It has been many years since I played that one and no longer have my copy of the score.

3. Ross Kratter

Ross Kratter Gold Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    New York, NY
    Artist, RS Berkeley, La Bella Strings and Phil Jones Bass Amplification
  4. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    I... I love you guys. So very, very much! :-D

5. Ross Kratter

Dec 31, 2010
    New York, NY
    Quick note: the link I posted is not the most recent version that MTI sends out (the new one, from the most recent revival, lacks the overture). Bernstein didn't want the overture.

6. zakalwe

zakalwe

Jul 15, 2012
    Hi -don't suppose there's any chance you could re-upload that, rosskratter, could you? Many thanks!

7. Earache

Earache

Feb 3, 2012
    Denver
    It's alarming how charming I feeeeel!

8. Ross Kratter

Dec 31, 2010
    New York, NY
  9. BeJay

BeJay

Nov 19, 2011
    Katy, TX
    +1:bassist:

10. xMaxBASSx

xMaxBASSx

Mar 6, 2009
    Mansfield MA
    Why would they send this out a week before the show? It's some of the hardest music I've ever played

11. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    They're probably worried that someone might scan it and send the PDF's out on the Internet (silly souls!).

It is difficult music. What makes it difficult (and really worth it) is the interaction with the other instruments and the cast. Definately practice the stuff on your own, but the real joy comes in rehearsals and performance.

12. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    To rosskratter - Thanks for posting that pdf all those months ago! I'm doing this in the spring, and it will be by FAR the hardest part I've ever played. I will need the extra time in the woodshed on this one! I've been playing different shows, but they mostly have ooh-pah parts for the bass. WSS is jazzy and latin-y - genres in which I have ZERO experience.

Thanks again.

13. Ross Kratter

Dec 31, 2010
    New York, NY
    It's a tough book with a lot of arco... Get ready!

14. rubberbass

rubberbass

Mar 5, 2013
    Hi, sorry to revive an old thread, but could someone please re-post the bass part discussed above?
    Cheers, rub