Does anyone have WinISD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThePaste, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Hey guys. Just for fun, I downloaded WinISD just to see if I could make my own cabinet. The problem is, I don't know what the heck I'm doing. Does anyone wanna take the time to teach a total beginner about speaker design? I know it's a complex issue, but just enough info to get me started?
  2. My advice would be to pick up a copy of "The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" by Vance Dickason. It's been my bible ever since I got it.

"Testing Loudspeakers" by Joseph D'Appolito, is for more advanced speaker builders, and maybe a good follow-up.

As for software, BOXPLOT is very understandable, much more than WinISD, IMO.

You said it yourself, it's a complex subject, and understanding what all those funny numbers mean takes more than just a few lines posted here. Hundred of books were written on the subject.
  3. I've been writing to some of the specialty design engineers, and I've been told that WinISD is dead wrong on some of its charts.

Robert Bullocks' DOS BOX MODEL program is completely accurate with one exception: multiple drivers with different sensitivies are graphed incorrectly in the SPL graph. The user interface really is lame, though.

PerfectBox v4.56 is much easier to navigate, and appears to be accurate. It also has a very extensive library of driver data. I've been adding to it for some time now. All are available on my site in my signature.

Dickason's book is required reading for every builder.