Does anyone have Zoom 506?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PUNK&DONUTS, Feb 15, 2001.

1. I tried one along time ago in a shop and was thinking of making a purchase but the only problem was that I was told that it slightly lowers the sound quality and delays it. Does anyone own one of these and if so does it do this and what do you think of it?
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I have one of the first ones, I think there is a 506 II. Mine is kinda noisy, but I haven't noticed any delay. I think they are great if you want to experiment with a lot of effects with out spending a lot of money. I'm not very big on effects (even though I do have an ART NightBass).
  3. I am a pro player who has used the same 506 for over 4 years now and don't plan to stop. I have used it on several hundred recordings working with some picky engineers in big time studios and none of them complained. I have used it on even more gigs and haven't had any problems, not once. Sure there are efx that have a better sound, face it a chorus that costs as much or more should sound better, but will it tune your bass, drive a set of headphones, 100 feet of cable and the 30 or 40 other things that the 506 will, yeah right. If you expect a 100 dollar device to make your cheap crappy bass sound like Flea or Les or whoever on a mega bucks bass and rig-- get futtin real. I find the 506 a lot more convenient then hauling a large pedal board and a rack to get just about the same sounds as the 506 and it will fit in the pocket of my gig bag. If I was playing 10,000 seat arenas and had a roadie and didn't have to worry about cartage would I use the Zoom, probably not but until then, I'll keep the 506.
  4. Santa Claus brought me the 506II for Christmas. It records well and it can be used as a sort of preamp since you are able to adjust the gain output level. But it is rather noisey when you have to turn the amp up in volume. There are internal parameters you can set to help with the noise level but it doesn't do enough. What I have to do is set the built in threshold level on my amp head until the noise is barely audible. It cuts a little sustain out but, when you have the volume all the way to 11 who notices. ;)
  5. kinda noisy, I still cringe when I think about the fuzz, it actually hurt, but it wasnt that bad.
  6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I'll agree with bassbrad.What you get for what you pay is well worth it.If you can still find a 506,theyre around $60,and the newer 506 II is around $90.Check with American Musical Supply( have both the 506 and 506 II listed on their catalog.

Bass Player magazine gave the 506 II a good review in the Jan 2001 issue.
  7. Thanks! I was looking at it for the price and amount of effects you get in such a convenient package as money is not flowing freely since my amp purchase and didn't expect a super pedal because if it was then it would cost more but from what your all saying it is pretty good and Bassbrad you say you have used it in recording so it must be pretty good then, so thanks for your help.

I have one more question, is it fairly durable?
  8. UMMM well I've used mine a lot in the last 4 years without any problems but I do take good care of my stuff.