Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone here live over a tunnel?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Petebass, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Sydney has gone tunnel-crazy. We built a tunnel under the harbour a while ago, and since then, a whole bunch of new ones have started appearing.

They've been very controversial. The tolls to use the new roads are prohibitively expensive, and residents near the construction sites have been in uproar over all sorts of things - unfiltered exhause emmissions being the main one. But no-one expected THIS................

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/11/02/1130823240833.html?from=rss

"Commuters face another gruelling peak hour as police warn of citybound road closures until at least 5am tomorrow after Sydney's Lane Cove Tunnel collapse.

And evacuated residents of a block of units that partially collapsed into a massive hole above the tunnel construction site face a long wait before they get their belongings.

NSW Police Assistant Commissioner Mark Goodwin said the cracked building, partially above a 10 metre by 10 metre crater near the Pacific Highway's southbound exit ramp in Lane Cove was still unstable.

"It is a dangerous situation," he said."

I posted a pic of the initial damage. We all watched as that balcony and the bottom haf of the building fell away from the rest of the building on live TV. It was certainly strannge watching someone's furniture disappear down a big hole.

Out of curiosity, did this make the news outside of Australia?

2. I saw that on the news last night. Bad s**t. I saw the part when they were interviewing a couple and that balcony fell in.

Not nice.

3. I can attest to the fact that it did, at the very least, make the news on the net. Scary stuff man! I hope nobody got hurt, and that they can repair the damages.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Thankfully, no-one was hurt. They're still deciding wether or not to rescue the building, but considering it's age, I don't think it'll survive this.

See what happens when they give contracts to the lowest bidder!

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I gots this one for you Pete :)
    [​IMG]