Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does Anyone Here Own or Have Owned A Fretless RIC?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B'Aces High, Apr 27, 2004.

1. I am thinking about getting a ordering or buying a new Ric in the next couple weeks and i was thinking about a fretless.
    If there is any owners here can i get maybe a bit of feedback? Or some pics or anything?

I cannot try one as there arent any in my area...thats why im asking for some sort of review or comments.

-TIA
    -Dave.

2. I have a fretless ric. It was one someone took the frets out of. I am happy with it. I think it plays nice and sounds nice. Some people love rics and if you like the fretted ones you'd like the fretless ones as well.

3. Thanks, and ya... i love Ric's but i was just thinking i wanted something a little different this time around. But i havent quite decided on this yet.
    My other option is to buy a new Ric and 'vintage' it up. :)

4. I played one that had been fretlessed. Very nice feel, but not too much mwah.

5. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've been thinking about a fretless Rick as well, since most of what I play these days is fretless and I love the Rick styling and tone. In theory the best of both worlds.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Bleh, a defretted is never the same as a bass that was MEANT to be fretless.

7. My old roomate in college had one and I had an older fretted one with the Ol' checkboard inlays. And I loved the factory fretless, it has a poly fretboard that until I tried a Pedulla was the way to get the mwah sound. If you like the fretted sound I'm sure you'll enjoy the fretless version. Allthough both were vintage basses I have no way to guess what a new one would be like.
    I always liked the shape and tone too, so I guess what I'm saying is if you like the buzz of a buzz bass and the tone of a ric, then there is no other choice.
    Good Luck,
    Dirk

8. Thanks for the replies thus far.
    I think i shall bump once just to see if i can get a few more responses however. :bassist:

9. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    What wood choices can you get with the fretless neck? Ebony would be really sweet but something softer like rosewood probably wouldnt sing as much. Ive never played a fretless Ric but if I were to get one it would have to be ebony!

10. The necks are maple/rosewood.

11. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    You can only get a fretless in rosewood? Hmmmm Do you know if they lacquer it like the fretted necks? That would probably make a big difference in the tone you could expect from it. Thats a bummer that you cant try one...

12. Yes they only come in rosewood fretboards.
    Im pretty sure the necks are finnished the same from pics i seen. They are quite shiny :D

13. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Personally I would prefer the lacquer over bare rosewood. You really cant go wrong with a Ric. I guess it just depends on what you are looking for in the fretless sound. I was interested in a fretless stingray at one time. I decided against it because I heard there isnt a ton of mwah with pao ferro.

14. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    I don't know about tone or playability, but as far as looks go, a de-fretted Ric is nowhere near as cool as a factory fretless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    All the fretless Rics that I have played sounded great. :D