Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone here playing anything else besides bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Duff_McKagan16, Feb 18, 2002.

1. is anyone playing like guitar and bass?

2. Yeah, I play guitar and bass. I think there's quite a few people here that do the same. I was a bassist first, though. No failed guitarists here :D.

3. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Started out with piano, and I still play that. Later played Cello for 3 years and dropped that in favor of bass...I also recently have been messing with drums....maybe I'll be a better bass player because of it, but I've always wanted to be a drummer. I have bad "auditory memory" though, so i can't even remember a beat...if its complex anyways.

4. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    actually I started on guitar. i never got very good though, all i could play was 5th chords and the basic chords and scales. Im glad i converted, i make a much better bassist. ive been known to play a mean kazzoo:D

5. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    u-hu. there've been numerous threads about this, if you do a search. I play bass, viola, violin, mandolin, and a little guitar and piano if i have to.

6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'm learning to play the drums - not putting too serious an effort into it, but still - it has actually helped my sense of time I think.

7. Dino

Dino

Jan 9, 2002
    Cagliari - Italy
    I play Bass and Baritone. I don't own a guitar but i play my guitarist one. Then I like too much play drums.

8. Hah! Well, I play the didgeridoo!

9. I've played some drums here and there, and a little guitar; never had lessons, but I can fake it somewhat. The band I used to have with my brothers, we were pretty interchangable. When it came time to record, and one of us wasn't around, someone else would lay down the drum tracks, or whatever, or sometimes I'd do all the parts myself, if nobody else was around. It was no-fi 4-track stuff, so it was just push record and go.

10. I'm seriously thinking about building a Warmoth guitar and getting a small tube amp.. maybe like a Fender Pro Junior or something.

I'd do this more for fun than anything.. it'd probably help my ability to play bass in a band if I understood the guitar more too. I still love the sound of the bass a more than a guitar.. so I'll always consider myself a bassplayer first.

11. I play tenor saxophone and have done for 7 years.

I also play drums in a Slayer cover band which has gigs ever 2nd week.

12. Mutilation

Mutilation Member

Jan 10, 2002
    I play Drums... ive played drums for...12 years.. (since i was 4).. a little piano/keyboard .. a little guitar here and there... (proud of my Warlock).. and i just took up bass about a year ago...
    I finally can play pulling teeth..
    --------------------------
    LoL your only a failing sumthing if you take it serious enuff

13. harmonica/electric guitar/percussion/vocals/

14. Started out on piano. Didn't like it, but the theory is all still there. Played trumpet through high school. A little practice and I could get my tone back... range would be a different issue though.

I have a couple of guitars (Guild acoustic, American Strat, JB Player acoustic) and consider myself a guitar player. And since I always had a drumset in my bedroom back in the day, I picked up the drums. Now, since we practice in my basement, I once again have a drumset I get to play around on. I can hear everything I want to do, but the execution is my biggest problem. Being able to play drums has improved my bass playing tenfold.

I also play a certain type of flute that would be edited if I posted the name. I'm pretty good at that.

15. I started with guitar, but always detuned it and used wide gauge strings to get lower notes..
    (I wanted to play bass since 12 but my mother told my dad to buy me a guitar or a keyboard instead when i got 15):(
    Im also practicing violin..

16. Sanger

Sanger Guest

Feb 15, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    E gads, I started out on the clarinet when I was 12....you may know of it, its a whiny wind instrument that sounds slightly better than a flute and slightly worse than a drowning cat. Then I switched to bass clarinet (which began my love affair with deep, booming notes). My bass came at age 16 and helped me discover a world of things I hadn't known existed, such as "theory", "improvisation" and "decent bass lines".

17. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I got a snare drum at around eleven,thinking I would get more pieces to make a set.Then someone showed me his Bass and I saw one at a music store used for $19.95.I think the only reason my dad got it for me was because he thought it would be less noisey than drums.(sorry dad).

I began transcibing songs I knew from bass onto the piano.I didn't have a piano,but sunday eves when I would go to the Jr.H.S.kid's group at church,all the other kids would go out and play kickball but I didn't fit in so I would stay inside and play the piano.

I also play that six string thingy and a little harmonica.

18. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Blues guitar on the Telecaster. Lately I've been drooling over acoustic guitars too.