1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anyone here run their Ashdown ABM head with valve drive off?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jcburn, Jan 19, 2012.

1. I wrestle a bit with whether I really like the sound of this head - sometimes I do but when I really need to crank the head to high volumes I think I prefer the sound with the Valve Drive all the way off. With it engaged it does warm the sound but the "fur" it creates is a sound I dont like.
    Do people think a tube preamp is a bit of a gimmick. I did initially buy the head as I liked the idea of a hybrid sound, but in reality I think I like the sound of a clean solid state preamp with suitable subtle OD pedal better.

2. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    most of the time, yes.
    sometimes use it at low volume with a flat wound stung Precision when pick/thumb mute

3. SnorLars

SnorLars

Nov 22, 2006
    Stockholm
    The fur/overdrive sounds crappy. More like something's broken.
    I set it at 10 o'clock and imagine I get a tad warmer sound...but dunno.

When it comes to overall sound I still remember when I got it. The wow feeling of getting home. It was a major lift.
    But today I wouldn't mind trying the new Tonehammer.

4. pbassnut

pbassnut

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    +1

I think the tube preamp section sounds much better than the solid state, but only if it's not pushed too hard so I run mine similar to how SnorLars does. I will say this though, if you're open to trying different preamps with your Ashdown via the Line In jack ... try the Tech 21 VT Bass Pedal V2 with it ... they go together like bread & buttah.

5. WillyPop

WillyPop

Jan 11, 2010
    quebec, Canada
    Ashdown Amps, Yamaha, Musicman & Washburn Basses
    or swap the preamp tube, can makes a huge difference