Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

does anyone intimidate you???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i used to get intimidated all the time by bassists that i thought were lots better than me. while i used to see that as a real problem, i now believe that it was a really good thing as it always had me going home to play and practice all the harder. i'm happy to say it's been a long while since i've felt intimidated by anyone, until....

last nite i did a cover gig and the sound guy looked vaguely familiar. after a while i realized it was this guy i had seen play a few times years ago that i thought was GOD on the bass. he was the tightest, most proficient player i ever saw in the club scene, could play anything. he was just one of those guys that wows you. blows you away. i got intimidated. my brain told me he was ONLY listening to MY playing to see where I WAS doing anything even slightly less than perfect. This was totally untrue of course. My nerves were shot for the first set. I was over it by the second cuz i talked with him a lot between sets.

i'm happy to say that i've grown a lot more confident in myself and my playing. i think i started this thread more to offer hope to anyone who suffers from being intimidated as much as i used to, than to complain. i've learned that we all have something totally unique to contribute. victor wooten could never play for the ramones. i read an article once where neil peart admitted to having problems with certain simple grooves. i don't think he'd do much for the stones. these aren't the greatest examples, but the idea is there.

lets talk about intimidation.

2. you know, i do my best to not let myself feel down after watching ANYONE play, becuase I always feel that they are playing better than me, even when they play a Blink song, their sound always seems better than mine...

But what really bothers me; i don't get nervous playing infront of anyone, but when I do play infront of someone, I'll mess up. It's wierd. i can play perfectly when it's just the abnd and I, but if a teacher walks in and listens, I'll mess up... :meh:

3. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I feel intimidated just because I don't know alot of scale, modes, etc....... But I just enjoy playing and I use the intimidation as my fuel for practice.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I use to feel inferior when I would see a bassist that was better than me. Now I'm quite the oppisite and I want to see players who are further along than myself, because then I can watch them and pick up on what they are doing. Also, how I listen to other bassist has changed. When I see/hear a bassist for the first time, before I check out there runs, their technique, their groove, ect. I listen to hear how good their timing is. To me, that's become one of the most important and fundamental things about playing bass. I rather see a bassist now that can play tastefully with stop on a dime timing, then watch somebody two hand tap but not be tight.

Also, a little bit off topic, but I've been tricked by many bassist while I watch them warm up. I've seen bassist playing some pretty good stuff while they EQ their amps and I'm thinking "Wow, he sounds pretty good", only to be disappointed when he started playing. Like wise, there's been many of times I've watch guys play some sloppy simple riffs while soundchecking, with me thinking "This guy isn't going to be good at all", where he'll then commence to totally blow me away once he starts jamming. I've really learned not to judge a player until I've heard him/her in a band context.

5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    It's easy to get a little intimidated by someone who knows more theory or whatever than I do. But most people are cool when it comes to jamming, and I can do that!:)

6. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a band play and didn't think that their bass player was incredible and much better than me, I get that feeling at 98% of the shows I go to, but I've never let it bother me if I'm the one on stage, the only thing I'm thinking about is the music.

One day I heard another guy saying the same thing about me being a good player, and that sort of stopped me in my tracks as I don't think of myself that way necessarily.

I use the intimidation factor to my advantage too, I'll figure out how to use ideas and grooves I've seen others do so it makes me a stronger player on the whole.

7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Nah, why be intimidated? It's not a contest, I know I'm not the world champion, I'm just out there to have fun. There will always be many many players who are better than me, sometimes even in the audience. If they feel better from being superior, then let them, I can take that. :)

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Everyone when I go to stores.

I forget everything that sounds good when I go to GC or something, then everyone else seems to be bustin out with some wooten style stuff... and i'm like "AAAAAH!"

grr. i suck.

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Word.

10. Same here....like,I'll be in the "Bass" room w/ another guy...and I'll start playing like Carousel,and he's over there going some crazy ass Jaco thing...

thats why I use the small combo amps,so only I can hear myself:)

:oops:

11. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I used to be really bad at this also, then I finally realized that hey, I am going to spend a lot of money here, so I better make sure it has the sound I am looking for. Who cares if the next person in the room thinks I suck, or he can play better than me. They are not paying for my equipment. :bassist:

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nope. I play as well as I play. If I want to play better, I can practice and take lessons. Compared to some players, I suck. Compared to me, some other players suck. Who cares?

13. I agree...I'm sure alot of guitarists think differently;)

14. Yeah...but,I just go there to mess around,but if I was seriously looking into buying something...I'd do everything I could possibly think of to test it out(playing wise)

no matter how bad I sound:)

15. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Intimidation? I just played in an acoustic bass quartet with Lynn Seaton - in fact I traded solos with him.

I nearly wet myself.

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I spent almost 4 years sitting in a room every other week, trading walking lines & solos with Dave LaRue...

...I got over being intimidated.

:D

Also, a couple years ago, the band I was in opened for Los Van Van, and Juan Formell almost intimidated me. ;) But it ended up just inspiring me. :cool:

17. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    I've never been intimidated. I am a lead singer as well, so people tend to focus more on my voice than playing....for the most part.

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    seeing a great bassist is an inspiration to me. it's not about whether i can do or not do what he or she does, but rather about whether it speaks to me or not. seeing someone with awesome chops who doesn't make any connection with my personality is just like watching someone get a high score on a video game - it's cool and all, but it doesn't really carry anything more than that to me.

on the other hand, seeing someone do something that i can't do that says something that i want to say is very inspirational, it's like learning a new word for the ole' vocabulary.

19. yeeeaahhhh, i gotta work on that. kudos to pacman and yeah jt, i totally agree.

20. Intimidation?
    Well...the only bass players I've seen live that I can come up with off the top of my head are:
    Billy Sheehan
    Stanley Clarke
    Victor Wooten
    Victor Bailey & all the other guys at the NAMM bass bash thingy.

I haven't had the chance to see any local bands play, aside from one or two around campus, but I barely remember them at all. Unfortunately. :(

So...yeah, I'm intimidated by them. But I'm also inspired by them to become a better bass player and musician. I'll have to wait until I start going to bars & clubs to check out live music...but then again, school and practicing and crap like that kinda gets in the way, too.