Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

does anyone just use volume?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by soundoholic, Apr 17, 2003.

1. yes

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. no

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Do you only use your volume pod and not the high/low/tone..etc. pods?

I was wondering because I am looking for a good passive pickup for my warwick standard 5. It has a J setup that is active but I really don't like active. I never use anything besides my volume because I do all of my eq on my amp. I want a pickup setup that I can bypass everything except pickup to volume to jack.

Any suggestions on a pickup would be great. I just want the natural great low end of the warwick but with maybe clearer highs.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

My basses are passive with just a volume and a push pull for tone. Full or 0.

3. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    You can run either active or passive pickups with just a volume pot if you want (depending on the type of active pickup).

The tone control is usually just a pancake style capacitor and an additional potentiometer (usually 250 K or 500 K for passive pickups, and 25K for most active pickups) that rolls of the high end (treble) when turned down. A seperate active preamp can usually boost or cut the low end or high end.

If you have passive pickup(s) with a seperate active preamp module, you would probably need to completely remove the pre-amp module if you wanted to just run a volume control and no tone control.

You would simply solder the signal wire from the pickup to the end tab on the potentiometer, and then the center tap of the potentiometer to the output jack signal tab.

:^)~

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Where's the option for 'frequently'? I often rely on the default sound - pickups panned to the centre and no bass or treble cut/boost (and volume fully up or fully down).

However, I don't think I'm quite ready to resort to just an 'on / off' switch! :D

Wulf

5. I rarely use my volume knob except for turning the volume down completely, I use the tone controls a lot more (on my active bass) and bassicaly don't use any controls at all on my passive bass

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I have all the alternatives there is. I use none...almost.
    Reason: it is so hard to get back to one specific setting.
    Solution: I play differently!

Optional solution would be set positions, e.g. three volume positions (+off) and two~five tone positions.

7. If you want a tone switch you couldd add a switch that puts 3 or 4 different capacitors in parallel with the pu, this lowers the resonant frequency of the pu and gives you some new sounds to work with (some say this method sounds better than a standard tone knob)

8. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    First, find out if you have active or passive pickups.
    If the pickups are active, you will have to change them out. If they are passive, disconnect them from your preamp, pull the pre if necessary. Install a new volume pot, (note pot, not pod, pot is short for potentiometer), :) and wire directly to the output jack. I have an old article in bass player written by Rick Turner that said this modification really helped one of his customers. Good Luck

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

:confused:
    Why would that be ?
    You can keep your preamp to boost your signal and keep it clean even with long cables, and still get rid of any type of EQ.

10. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Because preamps often insert their own sound. I think I recall that Rick Turner article, and he was saying that some preamps actually degrade the sound that your pickups put out.

11. i try not to use the tone at all..so i voted no
    i try to set the amp for the sound i want or dont want!!
    mine's a passive circuit
    i think eq is a different subject as the tone pot doesnt really add to the equation..
    :)
    a by pass keeps the signal completely clear of any earth leaks..;)