1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone keep Chrome covers on their P Bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Thom Fioriglio, Dec 17, 2020.

1. IMG_7339.JPG IMG_7340.JPG IMG_7341.JPG IMG_7342.JPG I have a Fender Road Worn 50s P Bass I just picked up and I wanted to dress it up with the chrome covers. I looks great but those covers just get in the way. I find the bridge cover prevents me from muting with my palm and the pickup cover sits right over the sweet spot for plucking or picking. I can see why most players took them off. I know Ian Martin Allison keeps his on after his wife challenged him about it. I love the look but they are just so impractical. I want to like it and keep practicing with it on, hoping I can adjust but its not going well.

Here are some pics

2. MartinB

MartinB

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham, UK
    I think they look great... but then I'm using my Precision in a band that plays early 60s stuff, so it's exactly the right look for that. I'm firmly in flatwounds-and-a-foam-mute territory, so the bridge cover isn't a problem. The pickup cover I find to be slightly less comfortable when playing fingerstyle, because I like having the pickup edge to rest my thumb on. It's nice for playing with a pick though, as it provides an anchor point for my hand.

It's definitely situational. It'd be impractical and the wrong look if I was playing in, say, a grindy punk band instead!

Thom Fioriglio likes this.
  3. Thanks for your input. I would love to see some pictures.

4. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Just the pu cover. It provides protection to the pu, built in thumb rest, and looks the biz.
    +WYKDaAJSpqtfyUo1oHSew_thumb_1169a.jpg

5. JoeDaddio

JoeDaddio Supporting Member

I used to run with both, but after I installed these Fralins with those cream covers I couldn't bring myself to put the pickup cover back on.

PXL_20201010_221224007.jpg

joe

J_Bass and Thom Fioriglio like this.
  6. I keep both covers on my Squier P. I also have DR Legend flats as well. I feel that the true sound of the P-Bass is right between the pickup cover and the neck, and the pickup cover makes me play there, so I get a nice thumpy sound that sits perfectly in the mix. i also jam a thin piece of memory foam in the bridge cover when I need a muted sound.

7. bassburner

bassburner Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2008
    They do look cool. My playing style wouldn’t have a problem with the bridge cover but the pickup one is awkward for me. Moving my plucking hand is a big part of how I adjust my sound.

8. I've been playing around with plucking position with the cover over the pickups. Playing behind it towards the bridge has too much tension on the strings and the tone is too bright. I do like the thump of the sound of playing in front of the pickup. And I never thought about it, but you are probably right that that is where the bass was expected to be plucked. That is where the tug bar is situated.

stratovani likes this.
  9. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I like the look of a bridge cover, I added one to my Squier body. Cant do a pickup cover, that’s my prime time plucking zone!
    731AC5EB-6EA7-44BD-9391-11BFF950007B.jpeg

JoeDaddio likes this.
  10. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Off as I play over the PU's.

11. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    I play with a pick mostly, and I like my hand to have a nice place to rest. So all my Fender basses either have BadAsses or chrome bridge covers. Muting isn't an issue since I do that with my fingers.

12. ZedLepp

ZedLepp

May 12, 2013
    I take them off as stated by the OP. I rest my hand on the bridge and the one over the pickup gets in the way of playing.

13. Ed Byrnes

Ed Byrnes Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2015
    P-Bass w new pick gaurd.jpg
    I added the new pickguard and ashtray.

JoeDaddio, MartinB and Thom Fioriglio like this.
  14. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    Just the bridge cover for me. I like the look & I like to put a foam rubber mute on top of the strings against the bridge cover rather than between the body & strings.

Ed Byrnes and Thom Fioriglio like this.
  15. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I use the bridge cover only, and it's because I have the old style 3M weather stripping mute in it. Looking nice is a side effect.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021