Does Anyone Know a less expensive 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alx564, Oct 6, 2000.

1. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hey Everyone,
    I am 14 and don't want to spend very much. I want a five string very much, but the only one I can find that is in my price range is a Washborn XB105, which is basically a piece of crap. I am willing to spend about $400 or 500 on it give or take a little. I just can't seem to find any bass. I was considering tuning my four string to BEAD but I just dont like that set up. I am looking into used basses too not just ones out of the store. I thought I had found one but the guy jacked up the price. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  2. ESP Ltd. I bought mine for $450 new. they normally cost $550, but look around or get it at that price. It has two EMG-Hz's on it. Great sound, great buy
  3. In this price range, I think that the Mexican-made Fender Jazz basses are a pretty good deal. Also, maybe the Dean Edge series.
    My first five string was a Yamaha RBX5 that was made in the mid-80's. It was a pretty good bass. I bought and sold it for much less than $500.
    If you're looking used and can be patient, you might find something really good. I was selling my USA Hamer Cruise 5 with a 2TEK bridge for $500 a few weeks ago but I think I'm just going to hang onto it. Used Carvins also sell in this price range. Go up a couple hundred more (~$750?)and you're in G&L L2500 territory.
    Good luck and let us know what you end up with!
  4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    A lot of companies now make lower cost 5 string basses. The trick is...getting one with a decent B string. Two that you might want to consider are the Dean Edge and the ESP B105.
  5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    You can find quite a few brands for the money your looking at spending. Fender Standard Jazz Bass, ESP makes an inexpensive 5, Ibanez Sr405 series, Squire, Dean, are just a few that come to mind. Look for some used ones in the pawn shops too, You'd be suprised at what you find in them sometimes, and they should be relativly inexpensive as they usually dont offer the person who lost them more than $100 for their bass. Good luck in your quest!
  6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass 5-string is a very good bass in your price range. You should be able to get one new for right around $500. If you find a used one, you would have a good 5'r for even less.

Also, someone has a thread about how much they liked the Squier P-Bass Special 5 (I've never played one). These are only around $260.

Bass Player magazine gave a good review for the Guild Pilot 5-string (I've never played one). The Pilot 5 is about $360.

There are some good 5-strings out there for $500. You just have to find one that suits you. Good luck.
  7. MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    If you buy something new,in this price range,dont buy the first one you play.Quality can vary widely.Some may have a great B,some may suck.Make the guy at the music store dig out the "ten other ones in the back",and try them all.And dont feel like a jerk asking for them.Its their job to help the customer.
    Also ,most of the (new)basses youll try will need to be set-up,so dont let a buzz here or there,make you pass on a "keeper"
    In 1979,I bought a Musicman Stingray brand new.I played exactly 10.And the guy had to carry them up from the basement!But Im glad I did it!I wound up buying a 1978,that they never sold,I still have that bass today.Ive had about 20 other StingRays since then,and this one is a "freak".
  8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

in this price range, going from bottom to top, in basses I've played:

[*]Squier Precision Bass Special, really tight B string, around $250 - $279, pickups would need replaced eventually but they are not as toneless as Washburns cheap electronics.
    [*]Fender Standard Jazz 5 string, best tone in this group, but really sloppy, floppy, B string, $349.00 most places.
    [*]DeArmond Pilot 5 string, decent electronics, pretty tight B string(not as tight as the Squier), Guitar Center sells these for $359.00 and IMHO they were the best 5 string value out there unitit the Squier came out.
    [*]Dean Edge 5 string, these have EMG HZ pickups in them, these pickups are very overrated IMHO, the DeArmond sounds every bit as good. These are $399 at Musician's Friend, $100 more for the quilt top. B is almost as tight as the DeArmond.
    [*]Yamaha BBN5, pretty good tone, B tighter than most but not as tight as the Squier, these are $469.00 at MF.
    [*]Fender Deluxe Active 5 string, tone as good as the Fender Standard, plus quiet pickups & Active electronics, but the B is as bad as the Standard. I've played about 15 different examples of this bass, they sound and play sweet, but I have never found one with a B that was even remotely tight. These are about $529 most places.

There are many more examples worth looking at, Ibanez, Peavey, Washburn, Hamer, Schecter, Alvarez, ESP and many more.

The best advice I can give you is to play as many different models as possible to narrow your choices down, once you decide one may be right for you, try to find as many examples of that model as you can, and decide what feels best and sounds best to you. There are severl good 5 strings out there for under $500, the ones I've listed I feel are in 2 groups. Fender, best tone and playability, Dean, DeArmond, Squier and Yamaha, much better B strings.

And believe me, this B string thing is a matter of taste. I can't tolerate the low B on any Fender except the Roscoe Beck and American Precision Deluxe 5, but there are plenty of people on this board who swear by Fender 5's.

Good luck! I hope this helps. Sorry for such a long post, I just wanted to let you know that there are a lot of choices in your price range.

10. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    hey alx564,

I'm rite in your position too.
    Want a 5 string, limited budget, but want a good quality bass.
    The easiest way is to get a used one. But, that's not gonna be easy.

So I've come up with another idea. Build a new bass at a luthier nearby.
    I'm gonna spend about $500, half of them goes for the pickups and electronic. I bought EMG40cs and EMG 40J and a EMGBTC preamp.
    The gotoh hardware is another $70.
    I want a mahogany body with walnut top, and a 5 pieces set in maple/rosewood neck with ebony fingerboard (I followed Alembic spec)
    It's gonna take about 3 months to build it, but It's gonna be the best bass for me becoz, it's build for me :)

11. The MIM Fender Standard Jazz 5 is one of the best bangs for your buck out there. You can easily find one w/hsc for under $450. Just remember, all MIM Fenders aren't created equal. Play all that you can find and pick the best one.