1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone know about a wood called Jara?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bound, Apr 2, 2004.

  1. bound


    Dec 28, 2003
    Jersey, Baby!
    Thanks for any help, was just wondering if it was useful, where it comes from, that sort of thing...
  2. godoze


    Oct 21, 2002
    I know Jara burl is used by wood turners quite a bit.
  3. unharmed

    unharmed Iron Fishes

    May 19, 2003
    London, England
  4. kirbywrx

    kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

    Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Yeah, Jarrah is an Australian wood, similar to red gum (isnt it?). Ive seen a few basses with fretboard made of jarrah, but i havent heard of JARA.
  5. godoze


    Oct 21, 2002
    call Larry at gallery hardwoods i'm sure he can tell you all about it.
  6. Ericman197


    Feb 23, 2004
    Are you sure you don't mean narra? My bass has a narra fretboard, and I love the feel. As for the tone... I haven't a clue what it does, but it does feel quite nice. It's a very grainy, rough wood that sticks to your fingers. It also has a very nice figure.
  7. FBB Custom

    FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

    Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Narra and Jarrah are different. My guess is the original poster means Jarrah, the Australian wood. The burl is very pretty but full of voids.
  8. bound


    Dec 28, 2003
    Jersey, Baby!
    Cool, thanks guys! Yep, the wood I was talking about would be Jarrah, not the narra. Heard of narra before, though i'm not sure where or why.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.