1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anyone know about the new Glockenklang onboard preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Carver, Apr 4, 2006.

1. I hear they have a new onboard preamp, but I can't find any info online. Does anybody have any information? I'm guessing it will be very high quality.

2. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I do! I have one in my Vigier Arpege fretless. I can tell you it's dead quiet even when all is cranked up. In other words you get boost without any accompniament from the Niagara Falls Symphony Orchestra. It has a passive mode in which the treble control acts as a passive tone. It is very nice and open sounding and the low end stays clean and tight even at extreme settings. There are two versions: One with a two band and the other with 3 band. PM me for a list of stores that can help you get one. If you want. :)

3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I've got dibs on the first one due in SA!:hyper: I heard that the 3 band is shipping now and the two band soon... Is that true Trip??

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    PM sent!

5. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    The news is now on Glockenklang site :
    www.glockenklang.com
    My Roscoe will soon be equiped with that thing and I'm very exited about it !
    :)

Also, Udo sent me a graph of the eq frequencies but I realy don't understand those kind of things... so if someone do, I could just send you the graph and you could interprate it for us all.
    ;)

And Trip has been very informative too when I've bothered him by mail
    ;)

Sheers

6. Sweet...

I Just ordered a custom Jerzy Drozd 6-string, and I think I'll have him use the Glock in it.

Thanks guys

7. Scoop

Scoop

Apr 4, 2006
    How much is the Glock?

8. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    List is 175 Space Bux.

9. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Hey Trip,

I wish Udo were as informative as you are !
    I've sent him a mail with a bench of questions... and his only answer was...
    "Yes."... and I swear I'm not exagerating...
    just "yes."

Sheers

10. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Ok after a few mail exchanged with Udo it seems that installing that new preamp in a 4 knobs configured bass is almost impossible if you want to keep all its functionalities.
    You can have a stacked bass/treb knob but you'll have to say goodbye to the passive treb roll off which is in my opinion one of the key features...
    So the only solution is to choose a 2 band version... which I don't realy like.

Sheers

11. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    We have a custom version of the three band that we use on our GS5. They are available now. Drop me a PM for more info.

12. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Sorry I don't know too much about how electronics work... can piezo pickups be connected to this pre?

13. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Sorry for the slow reply. JUst got off the road. As for the 2 band, it's really just fine. Mid-controls can get you in trouble. I use a 2 band on my Vigier 5 with no regrets or problems. As for the piezo connection, I have no idea. It would seem that it would require an additional balance control which the Glock does not have. Bummer. But I'm sure that something could be concocted to remedy that. But things are just now getting off the ground so waiting will probably be in order. I know. I hate waiting too. Hope this helps.

14. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I bought one of these the other day, and got it wired up; problem is, I can't get it to switch over to active mode. Passive works fine, and it sounds great, but when I push the volume pot down, all I get is a slight hiss. My pickups measure 8K ohms. Shouldn't be an impedence mismatch. Possible that I fried something somehow????

Thx

15. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Dearest Slug,

You haveth a PM.

16. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    Hi: I'm really interested in the stacked two band,
    this info from the Glock site;

"Available as 2-band or 3-band active/passive switachable (at the volume push/pull), balance-pot without dip in center-position, treble-pot active +/- 18 dB@18 KHz, passive as classical highcut, bass +/- 14 dB@40 Hz, mid +/- 9 dB@550 Hz, battery-connection 9 volts."

I like the bass freq center (40Hz), but was that a typo for
    treble, 18KHz, seems really high compared to Aguilar (4KHz)
    or Bartolini (6KHz). That's at the limit of my hearing
    if the post is correct?

Anybody have a picture of the preamp? How big is it,
    will it fit into compact control cavities?

Thanks for any info!!

Phil Anderson
    Tucson, AZ

17. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    In my 2 band the highs are at 12K. Which works better than 4 or 6K for me anyway. Udo is still over there changing things around. The people of Glock never quit. It's a cool place to be. Hope this helps.

18. Wow, this pre sounds awesome! If anyone has any sounds samples, please post them. ;)

19. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Hey Jay! Again thing are just getting off the ground. I'll have some clips in a few weeks. I'm on the road right now till the 20th or so. Won't be able to record any thing for a bit. If you want to hear the GLock Bass Art you can go to

www.tripwamsley.com and download some happy MP3s. Do it. Then imagine that clarity built into your bass. Hee Hee! Love to all.

20. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    We've been getting a ton of requests for them so we'll post some sound clips over on our site within the next couple of weeks.

JC