Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone know about these brands?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by scienceteacher, Oct 30, 2004.

1. scienceteacher

scienceteacher

Apr 15, 2004
    SC
    Can anyone tell me anything about the following makes of basses? Eberle, Kay, DeVilli, Engelhardt?

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Hi, and welcome to TB. Questions like these are what the Newbie Links threads are all about. You'll find them at the top of many of the forums down here. Happy hunting!

3. austinroybass

austinroybass

Oct 30, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Hi guys,
    This is my first post but, have been lurking for a while. Has anyone heard of a Troubador plywood bass made in Romania? The local bass store has one for $1200. I had been looking for an Englehardt EM-1 but the salesman went on for a while about the poor quality of Englehardts and that the Troubador was of much higher quality. I can't find any info about the Troub online. Is he jivin me to make a sale?
    Thanks

4. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    I recently purchased an Eberle Fully Carved from www.bassesonline.com. My teacher assured me the quality would good. He's a former middle school orchestra director and currently works for a string shop doing repair and sees many instruments on a regular basis.

Both he and I were suprized by the volume and quality of the sound. He feels that it would get a music major through college.

Currently, for the price, I'm very happy with it. It's not a Wilfer or a Pullman, but I didn't pay that much either. I'm an older amature (ie not getting paid to play) just getting back into playing after 25 yrs. I'm playing in the local community orchestra and at church. So my criteria was a good bowed sound and not too much money.

We've changed the strings and adjusted the sound post. Piastro Chromcores came on it. They were OK, but were not the strings my teacher recomended.

5. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Check out the newbie links...so much there.

I have had a Engelhardt and currently Eberle (both ply). The Engelhardt did what it needed to do as a first bass when I was a student.

I have to say though I do like the Eberle better. To me it seems to be better made and it projects better than the Engelhardt I had.

Also, I am only about 5'9" and have smaller hands so the Eberle is easier to get around for me at least.

The few kays I have played I never really liked...still don't understand why they fetch the price they get, when you can Find an Eberle just as old and in better shape or a used Engel for usually half the price of a kay.

DeVilli. never played one.

Would say though anybass is going to sound 100x better with a pro set-up.

Good Luck.