Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone know any good websites where you can buy a kit bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HWK2, Sep 4, 2000.

1. I am looking to buy a Bass Guitar kit, something that I can build myself. I don't know what I want to spend on it, especially since for all I know I could really screw it up. I know about carvin.com, but doesn't anyone know of anywhere else?

Thanks

William

2. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    Try: http://www.allparts.com/allparts/aplist.nsf/all/mainpage?Open

If you are doing this to save money, don't be surprised to find that the opportunity to spend more money is huge.

There are millions of fine used basses out there for cheaper than a kit bass. My guess is the third world labor that goes into many of today's manufactured basses is worth less than your time. Anyways good luck!

jc

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    http://www.warmoth.com lot's of Fender style parts and their own design (Gecko).

Ditto on the "saving money" thing...chances are, you won't. Don't expect much resale value on what you assemble either.

4. As others have said, you'll probably spend more money on a homemade bass than you will on a Mexican Fender. But money may not be the driving force here. Building your own is definitely a cool experiment. I tried, and failed miserably, but learned a lot.

I thought I could build tube amps cheaper than I could buy them when I first started in electronics 10 years ago. I was wrong, because the money I save by doing my own labor is offset by having to pay full retail price for parts.

The ticket is to buy junk and then fix it.

Chris

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Have fun with it, that's for sure! I started to build one out of scratch with wood that I bought from a local specialty shop just outside of Chicago. I used Bubinga and Wenge...wow!!! Lots of fun. But, now I've got a bass that has never been assembled, let alone even being finished as far as cutting the neck shape, gluing on the headstock wings, body wings, etc...It's frustrating that way.

Anyway, try Stewart MacDonalds...I haven't checked, but they may have a website. They are a very large supplier of misc. parts and even have bodies and necks, if you're interested. They are very helpful and can provide anything you'd ever need, including advice!

If you can't find a website, they do have an (800) number that you can get from information. Their catalog used to be free. Might still be...

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!!!

6. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Carvin makes a great kit bass with impeccable quality for reletivly cheap money. The kit come with everything you need to put together a real nice bass with some nice components. Check out there web site
    http://www.carvin.com

7. Scottzo

Scottzo

Jan 20, 2000
  8. Thanks for all the tips. I am not really interested in reselling my bass, mostly I am just looking for a kit so that I can learn what there is to learn about the instrument that I play. I own a chinese Squier P-Bass (Affinity) so I am already at the lowest of the low as far as what is a high-end/low-end bass. But, what more do I need, i've been playing for all of 6 monthes, with no lessons, and no real teaching, except a friend who plays guitar.

9. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA

http://www.stewmac.com

10. atelisch

atelisch

Sep 5, 2000
    I hope you bass turns out great! I'm building one too, if you hit a wall shoot me a email, maybe I figured out how to
    get around the problem.

11. I found a website called "guitarkits.com" go figure right? =) They are based out of england, and their bass kit sells for 300 pounds. This comes out to about.. 202 american dollars, if my math is correct. Now I assume that since this is a very low price, that the quality of parts is very low. Has anyone EVER even heard of this website before? If anyone thinks to check it out, I have sent a couple of emails asking questions, but as of yet, I have not recieved any info. Like I was saying, if anyone thinks of it, check out the site, and tell me what you think? I need the help of the millions, and millions of experts =)

12. Oh, and I also went out to Stewert McDonalds website, but I could not find any bass kits, only guitar kits. Am I just confused??

13. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    HWK2, your math is wrong. The Pound (no Pound sign on my keyboard) is more valuable than the American $. I don't know what the conversion rate is, but the U.S. $ should be higher, not lower.

Just a thought...
    Why not buy a bass that's at least a little bit nicer than your Squier (or better-that's up to you). Then, play bass doctor with your Squier and see what you can learn.

14. Slater, what I love about these forums, is the amount people think like I do =) I decided the same thing, so, I am now in the process of bidding on a couple of Fender Jazz Basses that I found on ebay =)

mr Squier is going to become the monster to my frakenstien!

:cool: