Does anyone know anything about Phillips Guitars?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ironfist, Jun 22, 2005.

1. ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    I did a search but nothing came up on this particular luthier. He advertises quite a bit in Bass Player magazine with his five string bass called the "Bulldog" being shown for a price of $695. I think the bass looks really nice, but I can't find much out about them.
  2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    The bass look very nice except for the jack positioning,i hate this jack position.

3. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
  4. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    If I'm wrong on this, somebody please correct me.

A friend and I talked to the Senior Phillips (I think his name is Craig) at the Columbus guitar show. They're made overseas (Korea IIRC) to Phillips' specs with the finishing work (not finish...but setup, etc) done here by Phillips. However, we got to take a 5'er for a spin at the show and they're nice. The string spacing is a hair narrow, but the playability was flawless and the fit and finish quite good. Bodies are swamp ash with maple neck/board. Phillips said he has done stints at the Guitar Hospital and Sadowsky, so I guess he should be able to set a bass up perty good!
  5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    $649 for an attractive Korean bass, 5-string, with set neck, shielded cavity, screw inserts, and quality setup, sounds good to me.
  6. I, too, played one and talked to Craig at the Columbus show. I thought they were great for the price. $595 for the 4 string model. The only issues I had was that the neck was a little fatter than my J necks, and the treble was a little harsh. Although, he didn't have a bass amp for it to go through. It was a Roland JC120, so that could account for the treble harshness.

I can honestly say for the price range, this thing was much better than the KSD J's, the Lakland Skyline, and the G&L Tribute (all of which I have played). The fit and finish were top notch. You should have seen a couple of the g$#tars he had built. They were beautiful. The set neck on the bass was great. I would say this thing would be top notch if you dropped some barts and a new pre-amp in it. Even without those things, I was very impressed with it!
  7. Wow! I just saw on his site that Norman Brown plays one of his guitars! Endorsements don't get much better than that!
  8. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I wanted to add that Kraig is a super nice guy. The archtop guitars really looked phenomenal as well.
  9. JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    *digs up old thread*

Can anyone tell me anything about the Phillips basses?
  10. I played one of the basses a few years ago at the Ohio guitar show. For the money it was a very nice bass.
  11. JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    I just picked one up for $300.......natural maple cap.

Haven't played it yet......ships out today.
    Kinda scary.....lots of positive comments about them, but rare enough to worry about not being able to play it first.
  12. JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008

New bass is here.

I really like it. Sounds like a fat active Jazz bass. Has an interesting mid range voicing, but I like it. Better then that Spector Legend Pro 5 I almost bought. The neck is fairly thick by the nut, which I love. The string spacing is pretty narrow....which is okay because I'm not playing much slap or anything. The low B is pretty tight, but not as tight as the Spector I played.

The finish is as yellowy orange as the pictures......looks a little cheap, but in person it's a little less harsh.

I'm going to have to re-set it up....and maybe throw some new strings on it.