1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anyone know anything about the bass player for MGMT???

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by alfredpunkjazz, Apr 20, 2009.

1. This band is not so well known (I guess) in the bass playing comunity, but I recomend to anyone to give a listen to their record "Oral spectacular" which has a really tasty bass playing, it is really 70's orientated bass playing, think John Lennon and stuff like that, it sounds and feel just that way. If anyone knows anything about their bass player, please let me know.

Lots of new good stuff over there.

2. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    pretty cool band, but "not well known"? seriously? I was under the impression that they were practically old news at this point. They were on practically every Top Whatever list imaginable last year.

3. I've seen them live. The bassist didn't seem to be a bassist, as in he seemed more like a guitarist playing bass. But I'm not sure if he played bass on the record or not. MGMT is just the two singers, the rest of the live band is just for tours I think, I'm not sure if they play on the studio recordings at all.

4. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I believe it's Oracular Spectacular.

5. Haaaa... sorry for that name.

Yes, they are quite big on the indie scene, but not so well known outside of that scene.

So, anyone knows who played the bass on the record? I mean, there is some very tasting playing in there.

6. Matthew Asti plays bass for them live, but i ithink one of the two main guys plays the bass on the albums

7. Great! Thanks for the info.