Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone know anything about this Carvin Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dviper, May 30, 2005.

1. Dviper

Dviper

Aug 24, 2004
    New York, USA
  2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Run, run as fast as you can.

For $850 shipped, you can do SO much better.... and at over 100#, that thing is a backbreaker.....

3. shrednbass

shrednbass

May 30, 2005
    well saying you dont mind the weight then yeah id get it. as far as the money goes i wouldnt get it not because its to exspensive for what it is, i just dont have the money for somthing like that. but just looking at the picture and skiming over the specs its deffinitly a tone machine with the 9 band eq and all the contours and these gadgits and those do-dads. if your prepared to trade in your hard earned cash for that beast then go for it.

4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

in my honest opinion , you could probably
    do better for the money ... unless Carvin would
    substitute the R1000 head for the R600 .

don't get me wrong , the cabinet by itself is rock solid ,
    speakers are thumpin' , but the amp is just ok ..
    i found it a little underpowered , and the shiney red knobs
    are very hard to see on a darkend stage .
    { i had to paint little white stripes on the knobs to be able to
    see them at gigs . }
    this might make a good practice amp , but not good
    for gigging ...

yes , i still have my RC600 , but it just sits in a box ,
    alone , and unloved ...

5. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    The new cyclops now has the R1000 head. Over in the Carvin forum, it gets plenty of thumbs up. The new BRX212 however, has got the combo lovers drueling. Much lighter, cheaper and 800watts of 2x12" neo power. I have a pb200 which I love and have played several times a week the past 8 years.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The BRX212 looks a lot better for the same money.

7. shrednbass

shrednbass

May 30, 2005
    ive scene some butt ugly amps that sounded really good (that has a double meaning :rolleyes: )

8. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Well, since we're talking about Carvin amps here, does anyone have a review on a PB100-10, and whether or not it's usable for smallish jazz gigs and rehearsals?

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Guess I should have been more specific. The BRX212 is a new design, neo drivers, light weight and a compact well thought out package. If I was going to one or the other it would be the BRX212.

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I would agree. I'm a longtime Carvin user (among other brands) and a fan of the new B500 and B1500 amps and the new PRX cabs, but I never did really dig the Cyclops, even when I was getting some decent sounds with an R600. I haven't heard the BRX212 yet, but my experience with the B1500 and the BRX cabs would strongly lead me toward the BRX212 instead.

11. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I own an RL6815, which is the older version of this amp. I absolutely love it. Great tone and very versatile. A lot of people here are down on Carvin amps, especially the Red Line series, but I've played lots of gigs with mine over the past three years and never had a lick of trouble. I would definitely buy one again. Good luck.

12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Well DUH, that's cuz the Carvin forum nazis delete all posts that have anything negative to say about Carvin. :rolleyes:

13. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Is that really necessary? :eyebrow:

14. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yes, it is. Ever try to post over there? You have to be glowing about their products, other wise anything negative to say, even problems such as amps catching on fire (it happens with the tube guitar amps!!!), you'll get slammed, with people even disagreeing with the problems you're having (aka "my amp caught on fire" "no it didn't! it couldn't have!" "well, it did"), etc. :eyebrow:

I hear nothing but rave reviews about their new bass amp & cab line, I just wouldn't touch the redline series with a ten foot trussrod.

15. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I don't see anything in your profile that suggests that you've even seen a Redline amp in person. Have you had some horrible experience with them?

16. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I have one, which I've reviewed on Harmony-Central. I think it would be perfectly suitable for the purposes you mention, assuming by "smallish" you mean relatively low volume.

I think the tone is excellent -- more vintage than modern hi-fi -- and the EQ is useful. (For reference, my other gear includes two GK heads, a GK Neo 112 cab, and an SWR Goliath III cab.) I found it sufficient for rehearsing with one electric guitar and drums at modest volume, but with another guitar or keys it wasn't enough on its own. There's only so much you can expect from 100 watts into a 10" speaker.

But one of its best features is flexible speaker connectivity, and with an extension cabinet it was easily enough for rehearsal with two guitars, and maybe even the smallest of rock gigs. I used a borrowed Avatar B210 for this purpose, and it sounded great in that configuration. For grins, once I ran the full 100 watts into my Goliath III, and that sounded great too -- a lot like my GK 700RB tone wise.

Of course the price and portability are great.

17. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I'm quite familiar with that BBS. You are overstating things by a long shot IMO.

They have a rule there--very clearly stated, by the way, and hard to miss--that if you have a service problem with your gear, *you take it to customer service*. There are several other rules, equally clearly stated. Posts that don't follow the rules get removed. Why is that surprising, or outrageous?

18. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Are you saying that there is a customer service forum?

If not, where should gear problems be reported?

(I have never been to the Carvin forum.)

If there is no public forum to post issues with products then I find the term 'Nazi' very appropriate.

But then do ANY manufacturer forums allow this?

(I heard the Fender forum does not allow it either but once again, I may be wrong.)

Are they all 'Nazi's'?

:D

Joe.

19. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I played through one once and it sounded great. I was auditioning for a band and their former bass player still had his rig there and I was told I could use it (his job schedule had changed so couldn't play anymore).

I did feel, however that the EQ points were a little off. Not very musical or tonally effective to my taste. I played through it as flat as possible and it was fine. But I had a great sounding bass.

I seriously considered buying one but at the time I couldn't come up with the cash.

Oh, and that was roughly 4 years ago so I am not 100% sure which head it had in it.

:D

Joe.

20. I used the Cyclops for a couple of years playing in bars and dives around three times a month. First thing is the Cyclops cabinet by itself is bi-amp only. If you run it full range you will blow the 2-8's. Good thing is you can add another cabinet and just not use the 8's. I found in the bi-amp mode the 15 did all the work and the 8's just sat there waiting for the ocassional frequency to be used. Adding a 2-10 cabinet really made a big difference. The amp and cabinet are two different pieces of equipment, so it's really not a combo amp IMO. The Cyclops is very top heavy and will tip over really easy if you use the casters. Mine tipped over during setup one night and broke my guitar/lead singers foot. (end of gig)
    I finally got tired of tweeking all the knobs, bells and whistles to get a sound I was happy with. Replaced it with RBI/QSC, ThunderFunk and Schroeder cabinets. As far as reliability the Cyclops/R600 never gave me one second of trouble. Guitar player might disagree but for the most part I think I got my moneys worth out of it.