Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

does anyone know how Mr Perfect (Kurt Henning) died?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Hey you guys.
    I was wondering how kurt henning aka Mr Perfect died.
    Back, when i used to watch wrestling he was my favorite Heel back in the day, and it seems like hes always been the heel and never changed.
    I haven't watched wrestling in about 5 years though, but gah, its sad that he died. Does anybody know how?

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i heard the autopsy report won't be released for a couple weeks...

bp13

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Back in the mid-80s when I lived in Minneapolis and Kurt was in the old (now defunct) AWA, he and several other wrestlers that were popular in the AWA back then used to come see my band (among others) at a after hours club called The Sports Page (I think...:confused: ).

He was a very nice guy. Not at all like the character he played. He was still quite young (early 40s). Its a shame. :(

Ironicaly, I later found my mother had gone to school with Kurt's father Larry "The Axe" Hennig.

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Pardon my anal-ism, but what is ironic about that?
    Isn´t this a coincidence?

....Coincidentally, I later found my mother......

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I don't want to judge the guy or speak ill of the dead, but a wrestler going in his early 40's sounds a lot like the effects of steroids :( I hope not, but that seems to be the case all too often...

6. Remember Davey Boy Smith, aka The British Bulldog?
    Died at the age of 39.

His wrestling size was 5-9, 290 lbs.
    A 69-INCH FRAME IS NOT DESIGNED TO CARRY THAT MUCH WEIGHT.

Literally, Steroids do not kill. But, I like the ESPN the magazine description:

"Steroids do not kill. But, they put pressure on and induce muscles to grow and produce at higher than natural levels. AND THE HEART IS A MUSCLE."

:(

7. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    yeah i suspected it was steriods =/
    Its sad cause he was a great wrestler.
    He always sold good matches, and the more and more i watch my old videos. Yes i have some 80s AWA stuff that i got from my brother ;)
    I haven't been able to watch much newer wrestling it bores me too much, I liked wrestling up until about 97 or 98 back when Nitro was the king ruler of the Neilson Ratings and stuff.
    I also miss old FMW. Flaming board barbedwire death matches .. *sniff sniff*
    well if i move in with my "friend" ;) in dallas next year everymonday night ill have to watch it with her. I dunno I think it does take some talent to be a GOOD wrestler as in Davey Boy smith, Rick Rude, Hogan, Piper, Shawn Micheals, Henning, Arn Anderson(the best), bret Hart, Micheal PS Hayes.
    (anybody remember the freebirds!?) muhaha

Im not suprised Hogan isn't dead yet. And im figuring Hunter Herse Helmsly will prolly drop any day now.

Ravens flock .......was cool..

thats my.. talk of wrestling for today.

8. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...

HEY DO YOU KNOW BOB MOULD!?!?!?!!

=D I wish I lived in Minneapolis in the early
    mid 80s.. That would rock my socks, going to replacements and husker Du shows.

I <3 Heart <3 the Mineapolis punk scene.:bassist:

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    "Bam Bam" Terry Gordy is dead too.

10. kind of a sad observation....but was Owen Hart the only wrestler who died of something other than steriods at an early age?

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Chris Adams (1955-2001) murdered
    Bruiser Brody (1946-88) murdered
    Dino Bravo (1949-93) murdered
    Junkyard Dog (1953-98) car accident
    Adrian Adonis (1964-88) auto accident
    Kerry Von Erich (1960-93) suicide
    Chris Von Erich (1971-91) suicide
    Mike Von Erich (1964-87) suicide
    David Von Erich (1959-84) drug overdose

12. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    You must be really bored.:rolleyes:

13. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Former Husker Du and Sugar frontman/guitarist? No, but he was around. Played a jam with Paul Westerburg (The Replacments) before anybody (including me....I thought he was terrible) knew who he was.

I got to know most of the Prince/Time clique though. I played in the old Lipps Inc. ("Funkytown", as in: Won't you take me to....) band for about a year and they were all kind of interconected.

14. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Really??? I knew the older guy had died (Buddy Roberts?) but I hadn't heard about Gordy. When (and how) did this happen?

15. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Suposedly "Quik Draw" Rick McGraw (Remember him? Died after a match with Roddy Piper in the 80s) and "Flyin" Brian Pillman were both undetected Heart defects.

Don't know what Terry Gordy (alledgedly) died of, but since he started at age 16 he had to still be relatively young.

16. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
  17. Hey Turock:

It's before my time, so I was wondering if you could answer a question for me.

3 members of the von Erich family comitted suicide, and 1 OD'ed (which, in many cases IMO, can easily count as a suicide). I really don't know anything about them. What happened?

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Whoa, I had no idea that the Junkyard Dog was dead!

I saw Kerry and David Von Erich wrestle in my little home town in Texas (population 5,000) when I was a kid. My dad got us front row seats right next to where "the good guys" entered. I remember how sensationally acrobatic Kerry was and he later got a lot bigger and went on to wrestle in the WWF as "The Texas Tornado." David died not long after that. It's really sad to think of the surviving family members and the tragedy they've had to endure.

brad cook

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Actually David didn't OD as far as I know...he died of enteritis in Japan. Mike Von Erich was forced to quit wrestling due to some rare disease and that lead to his suicide. Kerry Von Erich was about to go to jail for doing drugs which he got addicted to after losing his foot in a motorcycle accident. He killed himself the day before he was supposed to go. He had been wrestling with one foot (unbeknownst to almost everyone) up until that point.

brad cook

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ok one more thing...it's a bit ironic in light of this thread but Kerry Von Erich won his first ever WWF title belt against Kurt Henning.

brad cook