1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone know how play-along videos on YouTube work?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Funkee1, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Funkee1

Funkee1 Commercial User

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    Guitar Center
    I hope this is the right place for this:

I uploaded a video of myself playing along with Adele's "Hello" with a really cool octave-bass solo, and it got dinged for a copyright claim, and has been blocked. I have asked for an appeal, but I see tons of play-along videos up there. Why was mine different? How does one get around that?

Just curious for the future. I make and post videos for some of my students, and would rather not get dinged like that again!

Any advice?

2. I can't figure how some stay up and others don't either.
    I got dinged on SoundCloud for playing along to an actual recorded song. But I didn't contest it because legally they were right.

I think a lot of times they don't mind covers. But if you use an artist's actual recorded track they can get snarky.

3. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Enforcement of copyright on YT is a mess, and I don't really have any insight into why some things get flagged and others don't. I had one video get flagged early on and I've avoided anything questionable since then.

You can go down the path of "fair use", and an instructional video that uses a song probably meets fair use guidelines. But they also have algorithms that listen for songs and that's probably how yours got flagged. Then it becomes a matter of how important it is to you to be able to exercise fair use for otherwise copyrighted material.

I think that if I were in your situation I'd look for a way to create a similar work that isn't the actual song (maybe just the changes with some comping, a simple drum beat, etc.) and play along with that for the lesson. If you really need to use the original tune, then maybe EQ it to the point that it is clearly not the same, but still useful for playing along. No guarantees about this last one, just something to consider, because the play-alongs that I see the most often have horrible recordings of the original tune.

If it's just for your students, then it might make sense to use a different way of hosting the files.

If you're interested, then search for "fair use" on YT or google "YouTube Fair Use". It's a rabbit hole, though, with lots of people complaining and little help as far as how to make sure your fair use videos on YT don't get flagged.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    It's all automated. Bots listen to randomly selected bits of songs, maybe 10 seconds or so, and if it matches any of the songs on file they automatically file a claim.
    People get around it by pitch shifting and/or time shifting +-15%. That may or may not work for you.