Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone know how to age a Warwick from its serial number

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris_AtariDoll, May 27, 2002.

1. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I have just bought a used Warwick Thumb and was wondering if you can work out its year of manufacturer from its serial number (L1087 87)

Thanks

Chris

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    december of 1987, there, man...the 1087th one made.

the letter at the front tells you the month---A-L=1-12, followed by the sequential number of basses built, followed by the year...i'm pretty sure about this.

3. *You are correct Sir*

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, right on then...

*bows*

5. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    Thanks guys, didn't think it was that old, it in perfect condition. was 87 a good year for warwicks?

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Late 80s, early 90s arguably was the best Warwick era, since the company was smaller then.
    The newer ones seem to be of lesser quality sometimes.

7. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I think i've picked up a very good bass for the money.

8. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, as you could have seen, the bridge on your bass is the old one-piece one. It's a Schaller 3d. It's very heavy and gives a warm tone and a great sustain. '88 Thumbs did mount the 2 pieces one.
    It's definitely 100 times better than a new Thumb bass, trust me. If you have questions about it or need replacement parts, feel free to contact me.

9. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    It actually has a 2 piece bridge, Warwick have said it may have been produced as a demo model (due to the color and LED's) so it may have been added for that reason.

10. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    So the bass is varnished? I'm sorry to tell you that varnished Warwicks usually hide ugly woods... the folks still have a boiler room with a lot of strange colors Thumb basses and Nobby Meidel that they'll never sell.

11. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    It's a strange Sky Blue/Sea Foam Green solid color. kind of between Daphne blue and the color of Billy Sheehans Yamahas

12. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    There is a lot of varnished Thumb basses around the world... I hope that you like it as is, 'cause if you'll strip it to natural you could have a bad surprise :(