1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone know how to get that "Geddy Lee sound" with a GK ultralight bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Presto2112, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Does anyone know how to get that geddy lee distortion sound like the sound on the RUSH IN RIO DVD or The snakes and arrows live DVD?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You're not going to get that crunch with a GK ultralight without something outboard to give you some crunch.

I'd suggest a Sansamp VT bass or ParaDriver DI or BassDriver DI.

3. Craig_S

Craig_S Inactive

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    ^^^What he said.

4. philter25

philter25

Mar 26, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    ^^ What they both said. Get a sansamp.

5. LIST OF EQUIPMENT I WILL BE USING ON THE VAPOR TRAILS TOUR

1 Fender Jazz Bass circa 1972 / 4 Fender Jazz Basses circa 1996
    Avalon U5 Tube Direct box - for that "clean" sound / SansAmp R.B.I. Bass preamp by Tech 21 - for that "dirty" sound
    Palmer-PDI-O5 Speaker Simulator - for that "big bottom" / Trace Elliot QUATRA-VR power amps
    Roland XV-6090 Sampler / Synthesizers / Roland and Korg midi foot pedals / Roland D-50 Synthesizer / 3 Maytag dryers (coin operated) ... for that "clean, clean" feeling.
    All this gear is superbly maintained by the inimitable Mr. Russ Ryan (bass department) and the mysterious Jack Secret a.k.a. Tony Geranios (keyboard department) with the complex array of synthesizer and drum programming, sequencing and sonic sampling organized by Jim Burgess of Saved By Technology ... (or is that Waiting for Technology? ... I get those 2 mixed up!) and Eric Bedard.
    Well that's about it! ... Riveting stuff eh? ... I know, I know ... you're sad it's over ... I'm sad it's over ... but that's life folks!
    See you ... G.L.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021