Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone know if the Carvin R1000...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Onesidezero, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Onesidezero

Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    ...is stable driving a bridged 4ohms load? I'm looking to get 2 Avatar 4x10s, which are availible in 4, 8, or 16 ohms. I'd like to draw the full 1000W from my R1000, by getting 2 8ohms cabs and bridging 'em, and although Carvin says the head is stable at 4ohms bridged, I'm not sure.

I could play it safe and get 2 16ohm cabs to run 700W at 8ohms bridged, but I really would like the extra headroom the 300W gives (it's a lot with this head). What do you guys think? Experiences, advice, zany off-the-wall antics, all welcome. :) Thanks.

2. I have the R600, basically the same amp just less power, I run an 8 ohm 1x15 and an 8 ohm 4x10 daisy chained and it works great, I run the volume high on every gig due to an aggressive drummer with virtually no problems, with the 4x10 by itself the amp used to go into protect mode near the end of the night which required about a minute reset. I think you'll do fine with that setup, let me know how it goes I am thinking of picking up a couple Avatar cabs myself...

Jay

3. Onesidezero

Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    Thanks for the help mate. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. :)

4. SCH

SCH

May 3, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    I've gigged with a series III R-1000 for over a year. I've never had a problem running it full-range into a 4 ohm 15-inch cab and a 4 ohm 2X10 (using both internal amps separately for the two cabs. I recently bought two 8-ohm Bag-End S-15D's so I could bridge the amp at 1000 watts. I have not been happy with the results. The amp doesn't crap out, but it's not stable. I get unpredictable power fluctuations that affect the volume. It was so annoying that I stopped bridging the amp. Now when I use the Bag Ends I daisy-chain them off of one side of the amp (350 watts at a 4 ohm load). They sound good, but would sound better if I could give them more power.

Carvin amps are okay. Maybe I've been unlucky with mine, but when it's time for me to buy another amp I won't be getting a Carvin. Your mileage may vary.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I had an R600, and it wasn't stable into a 4 ohm Acme Low B-2. However, if you go over to the Carvin board at www.carvin.com and ask people there about bridging into 4 ohms, you'll find a lot of folks who have been doing that happily and successfully for quite a while (with non-Acme speakers, I think). It may depend on what particular type of speaker you're using.

6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    A drummer with virtually no problems? Don't let him get away. :D

7. No problems if you don't count that he can't keep a beat to save his life!:rolleyes:

8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    That could be a problem. We had one like that too. That and he would forget how most of the songs ended.

9. biggest problem now is getting him to show up!:mad:

10. Onesidezero

Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    Thanks for all the help guys...and the drummer talk! LOL :D I think I'll play it safe and go with the 2 16ohm cabs. Thanks again, and if anyone has anything else, tell me.

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You could also get two 4 ohm cabs and run one off each side. It would be about the same thing in terms of power (4 ohms a side = bridging into 8 ohms).

12. Onesidezero

Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    Yeah, I think someone mentioned that to me on another forum...that's an idea, too. I'm gonna kick that around....I would like the extra 300W...so I may go with your suggestion.

PS - I'm P-nut on the Carvin board - you responded to my thread about this over there too! :D :D

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Dang, I'm repeating myself!

Anyway, to be perfeectly clear, my suggestion would *not* give you the extra 300 W, because at 4 ohms a side, the R1000 puts out about 350 W a side, for a total (again) of 700 or so. It only puts out 500 a side into a 2 ohm/side load.

Even though there's no power difference, I suggested doing it this way mainly because I have the vague impression that given an equal load, using the R1000 in dual mono is less stressful than bridging it, but I could be completely wrong.

14. Onesidezero

Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    D'oh, that's right...at 4ohms it's 700W - 350 a side. Got it. A guy over at the Harmony-central Live Sound forum suggested what you're saying, and you're right, it would be less stressful on the amp.