Does anyone know if there is a Geddy Lee Fender jazz bass left handed model?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChrisNOTopher, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Im a big rush fan and also a bass player...of corse. I would love to own Geddy Lee's jazz bass...however, im left handed and would like to know if anyone out there knows if there is a left handed model. Responces would be apprecitated. Many thanks.

2. Not that I've ever heard of. I suppose you could build one if you were so inclined. With the recent price increase from Fender, the cost would probably be about the same. Good luck in your search.

3. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Never seen one, never heard of one. Soz. :(

4. MStrianese

MStrianese

Jul 26, 2008
    New York
    No they don't :crying:

5. Argghhh that sucks, being left handed sucks, thats the sound and feel for a bass i want and need. Dammit, someone should make one :)

6. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    "In 1998, Fender released the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass.[15] This signature model is a recreation of Lee's favorite bass, a 1972 Fender Jazz that he bought in a pawn shop in Kalamazoo, Michigan.": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geddy_Lee#Bass_guitars

While I have no doubt that a discriminating and talented bassist like Mr. Lee bought that '72 J-Bass because he judged it to be a fine instrument, if it were still in the hands of its original owner, then it's very likely that no one here would give that particular bass a second thought--it's just another Fender Jazz Bass.

You're right ChrisNOTopher, being marginalized/damn-near-penalized just for being a left-handed player/person DOES suck!

Perhaps something here may help you to find that genuinely special bass which truly resonates with your creativity: http://www.die-linke-bass-saite.de/english/

7. Hagelslag

Hagelslag

Dec 19, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Do what I do, order parts form warmoth and replicate it yourself. (I'm doing this now with a '75 Jazz lookalike) If your gonna drop a K for a lefty bass that isn't exactly how you want it, why not order the parts for the same money exactly how you want it?

But indeed, being lefty sucks (with regards to instrument options etc.).

8. Chrispurchase

Chrispurchase

Oct 24, 2007
    I'm thinking about building a warmoth bass too or buying an SX and moding the heck out of it.

9. Thanks for the info guys, but i dont think ive got the talent to build my own bass. Im not as awesome as you guys. I guess ill have to try n get someone to make it for me pffft

10. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
  11. i dont see any jazz basses on there :(

12. Seriously, musicians NEED to have that "magic" that makes the music that much more epic and magnificant to make it memorable....and if i cant have that low end of the jazz bass.....how on earth can i make good music? someone NEEDS to make a signature geddy jazz bass...LEFTY STYLE!!!!

13. After I develop my chops and earn the right to build my own bass, I want to build one like the red FMT jazz that Geddy plays live for some of their alternate tuning songs. The only difference is I don't want the control plate, so I'll go with a rear routed cavity. Shame to cover up pretty figuring. Back to your subject though, look around your area for some decent luthiers and see if they can put one together for you. Get a good lefty Jazz blank, rout it with 70's spacing for the pickups, get the BA bridge, lefty bound & blocked Warmoth neck, Geddy sig p-ups, etc. and you'll be in business. Please post pics when you finish... ;)

14. Yvarg

Yvarg Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Lake Forest, CA
    Sure they make Geddy Lee models for left-handed people. Fender adopted a strategy to flip that model around used by violin makers for hundreds of years . . . :ninja::bag:

15. Well where would i find one? or are you just joking?

16. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    Buy the right handed one then turn it upside down, theres no Geddy Hendrix out there yet. :smug:

17. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    ChrisNOTopher, that "magic" is in you--your artistry, your creative vision, your one-of-a-kind uniqueness--in YOU.., not the damned bass.

Fender does not offer/never has offered a left-handed 'Geddy Lee' Jazz Bass (a plain old '72 J with a maple board--big deal..).

Fender's Custom Shop could make you one for a ridiculous sum of money, but I can guarantee you that you'd be disappointed for having squandered that much dough on a run-of-the-mill Jazz Bass.

If you want a left-handed Jazz with a maple board for a reasonable price, then why not get an SX J-Bass: http://www.rondomusic.com/BassLeft.html to tide you over/get on with your own playing until you can afford to have a luthier make you a 'dream bass'?

Reviews and opinions on SX's very competitive build-quality: 'SX (essex) Bass Club': http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385940

----------

Again ChrisNOTopher, the "magic" resides in you, not the instrument.

Check out this thread and pay particular attention to posts #'s 4 & 6, and also note the poster's name...: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515518

18. I suggest getting a plain black lefty Jazz and order a lefty blocked neck from Allparts or Warmoth.

19. Maybe i will get the SX and customize it a bit, thank you, however i really would love the jazz bass, maybe i could buy it then just simply buy a lefty j-body and neck and then make so modifications, that would work as well right? and in reply to your comment on the "magic" you cant just have any instrument. You and the instrument are one, you need the correct feel and sound and comfortability or the "magic" just isnt there. The bass is a reflection of you, so you need the correct bass for you to fulfill the actual full potential of the "magic"

20. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    The beauty of the SX Jazz is: 1) It's already left-handed and largely playable. 2) It's exceptionally affordable. 3) It'll supply you with a low-cost test-bed to try different mods. 4) At minimum, it'll be a good backup/beater.

And yes, playing a decent, well-setup instrument makes a big difference in how the moment feels. This will come in handy no matter which bass you're playing: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=18

--------

ChrisNOTopher, please try not to psych yourself out of opportunities to advance your playing further/forge your own musical identity, just because you currently do not have what you believe to be the ideal instrument.

As your playing improves, and your sense of musical self grows more experienced and wiser, that seemingly perfect bass will one day find you. But here's the kicker: you'll outgrow it too... :)

The bass is merely the body, we are its soul.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021