Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone know Matt Freeman's setup?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Pork Soda, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Pork Soda

Pork Soda

Oct 4, 2001
    Can anyone tell what Rancid's bass player uses currently for recording or live shows? I am having
    trouble getting the right sound with my current setup. I have a cheap Ibanez p/j with a GK400rb
    and 6x10 cab. I can get bright enough but Freeman's tone sounds a lot more deep and resonant. I
    think 2 of my strings are dead (that may be part of the problem) so I will need to replace those.
    What kind of strings Matt use? What brand, gauge, steel or nickel, round or flat?
    Or if no one knows, what kind of strings would give me a deeper, more resonant sound that
    would still be bright and clear but not so much that it would give me a headache (if you know
    what I mean). I mostly play with a pick but not exclusively. I like a little slack with low action
    but no floppiness or buzzing.
    Also, what kind of picks does Freeman use and how does he set his amp?
    Thanks.

2. For an amp he uses the GK2000RB. For a cab he's got 8x10s. I've seen him use Fender P and J basses, but now it seems like a custom Ibanez. ATK maybe? I read his picks are the orange Dunlops. To get that sound, I use my Fender J, Rotosound strings, and set the bass and treble at about 2 o clock with mids at about 10 o clock.

3. Pork Soda

Pork Soda

Oct 4, 2001
    Thanks, I'll try that. What gauge are the rotosounds and are they nickel or steel?

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Last time Rancid was in Toronto he had a Musicman Stingray too.
    Out Come the Wolves was recorded with a 70's Ampeg SVT I think...
    -Dan

5. Eerik

Eerik

Jul 9, 2001
    Finland
    This is quote from BassPlayer/9/1996:
    After years of favored P-Bass and a brief period of experimentation with various instruments, Freeman has settled on the Fender Jazz as his axe of choice. "For a while", he grins, "I had this thing about buying cheap basses - you know ´I´m a punk rocker,´ and all that. They´d sound okay, but when I went on tour they´d fall apart. Finally, I just saved my money and bought two Jazz Basses. They sound really good, and they´ve got very thin necks, which helps me because my hands are small."
    When his roadworn Acoustic 320 head and 4x15 cabinet finally needed rest, Matt found himself on the market for a new rig. "I´d always gone for whatever looked durable and woudln´t be too big a loss if it got ripped off," he laughs. "So when we began recording, I didn´t know what to get. Then I went next door where Jawbreaker was recording and asked their producer, Rob Cavallo - the guy who did Green Day - `Dude, what did Mike Dirnt play on Dookie?` I really liked that sound, and Rob told me it was an Ampeg SVT-II Pro. I went right out and bought one!" The big tube head powers a single Ampeg 8X10 cabinet, and Matt says that´s plenty. "In places with good PAs, youi don´t really need a ballbuster. This SVT pumps - plus I go direct at clubs. I mean, how much amp do you want?"
    (end quote)

So as I´ve understood it, the first two records(Rancid & Let´s Go) he recorded with that Acoustic 320 /w 4x15 and P-bass and then ...And out come the wolves with Ampeg SVT-II Pro /w 8x10 and P-bass and never recorded with that J-Bass. On Life won´t wait and Rancid(2000) he used mainly GK RB2001 and a custom Ibanez - I could be wrong on the model, just guessing - sr4. I´ve also seen an early Rancid pic(or could actually be Operation Ivy pic as well) with Matt playing a MusicMan Stingray I myself like his sound best on "...And out come the wolves". Haven´t got a clue on what he used with Operation Ivy. I have seen pics but can´t identify the bass(es).
    Also interesting was what he said in BassPlayer/don´t-remember-the-issue(I´ve got that somewhere but too lazy to search now)/1998 that Bloodclot was recorded with his RB2001 /w 8x10 and Acoustic 320 /w 4x15 both running at the same time. Personally I think his sound on Bloodclot was brilliant, I´d kill to get that sound ;)

6. Eerik

Eerik

Jul 9, 2001
    Finland
    Damn I´ll take that back, it seems to be a slightly customized Ibanez White.

7. A 4x15?! :eek: Christ...that must have been a wall...not only in physical size, but in sound as well.

As for those Rotosounds, I use the steel ones, 45-105 I think.

8. Eerik

Eerik

Jul 9, 2001
    Finland
    One more update :) I managed to find that BassPlayer about Bloodclot(that was August 1998):

..."I played an Ibanez TR bass with everything turned up to 10," he details with a grin. "We had a Gallien-Krueger 2000RB head driving an 8x10 and my old Acoustic 320 head and 4x15 cab both going at once. Let´s just say it was blaring in there."...

I sure believe it was :D

9. On ...and out come the wolves, it sounds WAY too much like a Jazz bass to be a P-bass.

10. Eerik

Eerik

Jul 9, 2001
    Finland
    I remembered that it was completely the opposite, though it has been a _really_ long time since I listened to the album the last time so I believe you´re prolly right then :)

11. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Well,Matt really likes his treble,so I guess that compensates for the p-bass sound.

12. RUSTYHOOK100

RUSTYHOOK100

Jul 17, 2008
    he uses dr stings i just read it on some website

13. Soul Punk

Soul Punk

Aug 13, 2013
    dukeisdog likes this.
  14. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
  15. TorontoAlex

TorontoAlex

Nov 28, 2011
    Toronto
    Saw Rancid last month, Matt was using a Fender SB 300, running the clean channel, into an 8x10, and a Fender 100t, on the OD channel, into a 4x10. Both cabs were miced when Rancid started playing. Also had a U5 and a Fender TB1200 in his rack, so no idea how many channels into the board. His tone was immense. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1376470712.886604.jpg

16. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    He uses his 77 fender p bass that is beat to Sh!+ and stickers all over it for recording only hear days. He kinda retired it do to its age and how brittle it's become. For years and years it was the only bass he used both studio and live. That bass is legendary and sounds amazing. After years of being on the road, wear and tear, it can't handle the abuse of playing shows full time. He barely sets it up, only if it severely needs it, and the frets are so worn that he doesn't wanna do a fret job. The bass is so broken in, he only records with it. It's his only bass he records with unless he uses his standup.

Also for years he used a 77 jazz bass, but after he had lung surgery it became to heavy and uncomfortable to perform with so now it kinda takes a back seat. I can vogue for the part where personally I think jazz basses are uncomfortable.ni love jazz basses but I prefer precision.mhe also uses a Geddy lee signature jazz, a road worn p bass, rarely a black ric as well. Currently his main bass is his squier signature p bass in Olympic white dressed up with stickers. It's a new version of the original 77. He's bought a few 77 p basses but none of them even come close to his original 77.

Amp/ rig: currently Freeman uses the new or modern day fender super bassman head and 8x10 cabinets I believe. You can go on YouTube and type it in and watch the video to be sure. Matt Freeman's tone is one of a kind and one of my favorites. The " Lets Go " album is just out of this world