Does anyone know of a good hardwood dealer?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rapscallion2112, May 19, 2004.

1. Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    Ok, so Im looking for a good hardwood dealer. The last place I ordered a blank from send me a piece of poplar that was really nice but it was way too thick(2 inches). Preferabally a place that sells wood for me to glue together myself. I tryed searching on google but I couldn't find a place(not that i thought i could on google). Could anyone steer me in the right direction?

2. Gallery Hardwoods. They're amazing. Great quality wood, reasonable prices, quick shipping. They're tops.
  3. Skips

Feb 19, 2003
  4. Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    thanks, rockler seems like it has a larger selection.
  5. Rocker is a store more focused on cabinetry and general woodwork. If you're looking for wood with any figure to it, go with Gallery.
  6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I have to agree. Larry's selection is much greater than is reflected on his website (which he does not update often). There used to be a Rockler in Cambridge and their lumber was all S4S, basically FAS but mill run (no real character pieces) and sometimes torn up a bit during surfacing. Gallery will send you wood ready to use and dimensined for what you need.
  7. schuyler

Aug 5, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Carlton McClendon's here in Atlanta has a great selection of rare and figured woods (like 80yr old air-dried, old growth cocobolo)... but i don't think they have a web address. I would expect that most larger cities like Chicago would have something similar. most lumberyards will surface and/or rip to spec, but you have to ask, and pay a little extra for their time and trouble.
  8. Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    I suppose I agree--but then I've never tried a natural finish, so I like it. :)
  9. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Another vote for Larry at Gallery Hardwoods.
  10. Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    ya. I sent larry an email to get an idea of what they have. and he said the list was too long to put down. so that kind of eases my concern, ya know what i mean? i was just a little put off by the lack of selection on the web page. next project i do ill probably go with gallery
  11. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I went to Rockler and the guys there told me a great place to get wood. If you can find a store I suggest that. I got huge pieces of Paduak, if only i would use them.
  12. For you St. Louis area TB'ers, avoid The Wood 'n Shop... The woods I've gotten there have been poorly surfaced, and not great quality. Some have had holes, knots etc. :rollno: Anyway, just a word of caution, it's better to get something from Larry at Gallery Hardwoods and pay the little bit of shipping. :cool:
  13. Well, that's me. Thanks for the tip.