Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone know of a website where I can learn about the live use ot microphones?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by funk_engineer, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Does anyone know of a website or message board where I can read more about the live use of microphones, and what brands/models will suit me? I may be getting involved in a band as a horn player (trombone), and I'm wondering if the ol' SM57 will would be good for that, or if something else would be better.

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    http://www.homerecording.com

This site is mostly about home recording (duh!), but Durrl started a thread that's turned into a killer "all you need to know about microphones but were afraid to ask" thread, and a well-known engineer is pretty much divesting himself of his knowledge for the general good. One of the most valuable things I've read on any website.

Chris, do you remember the name of the thread?

3. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Amazing when 2 folks on opposite coasts have the exact same thought at the same minute. Maybe it's 'cause I have an Anchor Liberty Ale open in front of me....got me in that SF, CA state '0 mind.

4. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
  5. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    uhhh...nuttin' there, Dude...

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

You mean, "How does diaphragm size/polar pattern relate to mic applications?" Geez, all I did was ask a simple question and this HARVEY guy went all ballistic and started talking about rocket science and $#!+.

...And all I really wanted to know was, "How can I mic my double bass so that the recording sounds like someone way better than me is playing it?".

All kidding aside, Mr. Gerst is - along with (ALL HAIL) Bob Gollihur - probably the most helpful person I have ever come across on the internet. I've bought 4 condenser mics based on his recommendations, and they're all great mics that didn't empty my wallet. Be nice to the guy if you run into him...they don't make 'em like that very often.

7. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    Re: Liveaudio.com: look again, particularly the discussion forum.