1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anyone know of any good books on bass effects chains, how to eq your bass etc?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sdagg1, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Sdagg1

Sdagg1

Feb 25, 2018
    Hello,

I would like to find some books
    on using bass effects such as how to chain them, uses of effects in a band setting etc. I am also having trouble finding a good bass sound that is defined and balanced with my band. If anyone could suggest some books that they might know of, it would be greatly appriciated!

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Welcome to TB.

Books on EQing a bass......no, I'm not sure that exists. But, you are asking the question to one of the largest bass groups in the world. There is more knowledge here about bass than the average person can absorb. I'd suggest maybe doing a search, or just start reading.

3. Sdagg1

Sdagg1

Feb 25, 2018
    Ok thanks. Maybe it would be helpful if people could suggest eq settings i could try? I have a boss bass eq pedal but i stopped using it because my tone didnt sound well with it on. I paced the eq at the end of the chain with the eq gain set half way.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Other people can suggest things they like in their contexts but it would be random chance if that suggestion worked in your context.

In the end you have to use your ears and be methodical. Move each knob around until it sounds good to you in the mix of your band in the room you're in.

Wisebass and Spidey2112 like this.
  5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Bastijnv, Torrente Cro and Sdagg1 like this.
  6. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I don't know of such a book, but lots of threads to read here to pick up EQ tips, including some very useful ones that discuss frequency ranges and how modifying them affects the sound of your bass. As noted, every situation is different, starting with your fingers / picks, through strings, pickups, controls, cable, etc, etc. - you get the point. Keep trying and listening. Also, depending on your situation and playing plans, be aware that your bass will sound very different live in a venue from what you experience at home or even on stage right in front of it. Sorry if this was too basic.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Sdagg1 likes this.
  7. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    Sdagg1 and Spidey2112 like this.
  8. Sdagg1

Sdagg1

Feb 25, 2018
    how would you use the volume pedal? I was thinking of getting one but wasnt sure how difficult it would be to acuratly set it on the fly while playing if i need a volume boost

9. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Good chart.

And not that you wrote it, but why would someone put a compressor after a reverb/delay? Seems to me counterintuitive.

Compressor goes after dirt and before modulation for me.

10. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    What bass and amp do you play? What style of music? What sound are you going for? Are you using effects for the sake of effects, or trying to achieve a sound?

11. XLunacy

XLunacy

Nov 28, 2013
    France
    Just grab a small boost pedal if you only need 2 distinct volume levels, much simpler to use (TC Spark mini, MXR Booster mini).

For EQ, assuming you're using a traditional cab, my advice :
    - always start flat
    - cut first, boost if needed
    - always EQ in context
    - master the mids, because so much is happening there. If you have mid knobs on your amp start using them, if not I'd recommend getting an EQ pedal with a few different bands (ideally a parametric) in the mids (roughly 200 Hz => 2kHz) and experimenting with it
    - something I like to do : if you cut somewhere, try boosting somewhere else in the same broad frequency range.
    For instance, if you cut some mids @500Hz, you might want to try boosting a little bit the mids above or below (or both), say @200Hz or @800Hz, just so you don't sound hollow
    - don't boost the low lows (< 60 Hz), most of the time you're OK
    - don't boost the highs (> 6kHz), there is not much interesting going on for bass there
    - EQ is not everything : technique does a lot ; a good compressor will do wonders to your sound ; maybe a little bit of overdrive ? Experiment.

If you're going direct (or using a FR-FR cab), the same applies, but additionally you'll definitely want to cut the low lows (<~50Hz) and the highs (> 8kHz).

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021