Does anyone know the closest amp to Bob Weston's (Shellac)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ilikebadmusic, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Ilikebadmusic

Jan 4, 2003
    Bob Weston plays out of a guitar amp, that I think him and Steve Albini made. He has an awsome tone, but I was wondering if there were any similar amps out there that could reproduce a similar tone?

If you don't know what Bob Weston sounds like, DL Shellac - Song of the Minerals or Shellac - The Admiral. Or any Shellac song. for that matter.
  2. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    damn...there used to be his setup on but it's not there anymore. maybe you can email him or maybe someone at touch & go will know?

3. Ilikebadmusic

Jan 4, 2003
  4. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    oh, and if you find out be sure to post it here too!
  5. voegel

Aug 16, 2006
    Bob plays a Travis Bean bass into a Traynor TS-50B amp into a 15" cabinet. That's what he uses for recording with Shellac.
    For shows he runs the Traynor into a 2x400W Crown power amp that drives two homemade 15" cabs. The Traynor and the Crown amp are inside a fancy aluminium case.
    I think a lot of his sound comes from the Travis Bean and he's strumming real hard.
  6. Heard something similar before.
    But both him and Steve are using (1) 1x12"+1x10" or 8" not sure there, and (1) 1x15"+ horn from what i´ve seen.
    Look at this video.
  7. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member