does anyone know the "Satori" double bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by megan, Mar 1, 2004.

1. megan

Feb 29, 2004
    LA, CA
    Firstly, thanks for reading my post and giving me your input! :)

I'm tired of school's double bass and thinking to buy one. It's my first time to buy a double bass. With limited budget (2k) and resources (just immigrated), I don't know how to and which style I should choose. I found this store near my house, they only sell SATORI double bass. but I never heard or saw any discussions on this forum about this brand. I was told it is solid wood and made in China, sold 2k. I'm hesitated due to the unknown brand....and thinking if I should simply just buy one from the most known store -Lemur-music?

By the way, I'm only 5' 3" (Female), I'm debating if I should use 3/4 as most people choose or staying with 1/2 I used to play?

COuld you please give me some input? I really appreciate! :hyper:

The picture of this SATORI bass...
  2. Don't be put off initially because of the "made in China" label -- there are a few basses that are made in China, such as Shen and Christopher, that have passed muster with many folks around here. Do some more research -- maybe have a qualified luthier in your area check it out.

As far as size goes, most would advise you to go with the 3/4 if you can. I've seen a jazz player named Kristen Korb perform -- she's can't be any taller than you, and she tore it up on her 3/4 bass!
  3. Megan, please don't buy a bass without seeing and playing!!
    If you just go back, under basses, you'll see a heck of alot of learning material because we just went through the very same stuff with another young lady!!
    If that doesn't ring your bell there is an unbelievable amount on buying a DB. Use the search function!!
    Good luck!
  4. I (since no one else has) would like to recommend
    They have very well set up chinese basses with carved tops for less than what your looking for. also a swingmaster with the same for 1900$
  5. megan

Feb 29, 2004
    LA, CA
    Thanks Mike, Paul and MerryPrankster's advise and suggestion.
    Since I live near Lemur, I guess I'll arrange to stop by their showroom and pick one up.

Just out of curiosity, what brand of strings and string's composition most people use for solo?
    I'm now debating between corelli and pirastro... ...
    I'll go with what majority use... :D

Wish beautiful things keep coming to you!
  6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Don't you just hate it when the cheap instrument companies use big names like Sartory, Amati, Cremona, Bach as well as countless others........??

They are sometimes the cheapest crap around. These guys can't even name it right. Eugene 'Sartory' made the some of the best bows ever made. I believe he died in 1946. He was a bow maker and not a Violin or Bass maker as far as i know.
    Why are they using his name?? The Bass looks nice but I have never heard anything about them.

As mentioned earlier, Shen Basses, designed here and made in a great shop in china is about the best you can get for the money. I have 2 of thier Basses. My 3/4 is used by my 13yr old son and has been playing is since he was 10. Get a 3/4 size. The sound is much better and will hold it's value better.
  7. Megan, the above sentence kind of scares me....i'm an old guy, so I scare easily. Forgive me please, but it sounds like you're thinking of stopping by some store and picking up a pack of chewing gum. Lemur is a fine company, and i'm sure will work out a good deal for you....But please take your time!
    Visit our Newbie links at the top of each area...especially the ones on buying a bass under basses. Not trying to scare you, just want you to enjoy shopping for your bass and there are some easy to grasp tricks that can help you decide and provide some enjoyment at the same time!
  8. megan

Feb 29, 2004
    LA, CA
    Thanks Ken and Paul, again! :) I finally find a decent one under my budget. I've read all the newbie's links which are really informative and useful.
    Since I don't know any teachers for now, what I did was following the old saying "words of mouth." Some one told me a good luthier live nearby. I just met her today. She helped me a lot. The one I choose looks like Shen's (the color, I mean but Shen's wood is much better!), and has brighter sound (don't know if it's good or bad though) and also made in Korea (hmm...scary....i know....that's why the price's lower than usual, i guess...). Overall is okay...I'll post the picture later on.
    Well, for now, I am somewhat satisfy as least I have my own DB to practice at home. no constraints to practice at school any more. YAY~~ :hyper:

well, by the way, have you heard "compressed wood"? Is it the same as plywood or laminated?
  9. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I have no comment on these basses, or anything useful related to this thread, really. Just wanted to point out that they could have used satori quite purposefully, without thinking at all of the connection to the bowmaker. In Zen Buddhism, satori is the name for a state of enlightenment. They don't say whether that state is Texas, Oregon, whatever, so don't ask.

As a name for a musical instrument, I think it's kind of cool...