Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone know what that science is called?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BigWig Will, Jan 5, 2003.

1. I used to have a girlfriend who was studying a type of science in college. She was really interested in it, and it actually sounded pretty cool.

It had to do with the way people reproduce sounds with their mouths, based on how they heard it. It also studied parts of the brains where language was developed. I talked about how people who learn to languages at birth use only one part of their brain, but those who learn a language later in life use two parts.
    I'm sort of babbling, but I've forgotten what its called. Anyone know?

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    linguistics, perhaps?

btw, I have a BS in Scatology :D

3. either way, i'd say this is off-topic.:D
    p.s. i have no clue

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i second linguistics. or maybe speech pathology ?

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'd say so too.

By the way, keep the barber banter out of TalkBass. Vielen Danke.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  7. uhhh...okay?:confused:

8. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Vielen Danke is German for "Thank you very much"

Guten nacht (Good night)

Peace,

James

9. Why do i find this disturbingly funny?????? :eek:

:D:D

Merls

10. hogani

hogani

Jul 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Some parts of your descriptions sound like speech pathology, others more like linguistics.

I think speech pathologists are like physical therapists. I knew a guy that had a speech impediment; he couldn't make the "th" sound for whatever reason. Anyhoo, at a young age, his parents took him to a speech pathologist and worked with him on his ability to make something close to the sound "th". I think they do work with children with cleft palates, dental abnormalities, etc., .

btw, sounds with two consonants (th, st, pr, etc., are called dipthongs).

Liguistics, btw, is a different matter, less clinical, more academic study of language. There are three parts: grammer, phonology (sounds), and semantics (meaning). There are subfields, too, like socioliguistics.

There are a few famous linguists: Noam Chomsky and Stephen Pinker, both at MIT.

Chomsky is more famous for his politics than his work in linguistics. Some people actually think there are two Noam Chomsky's.

The other is Stephen Pinker. He wrote a book a few years ago called The Language Instinct. He notes that all languages have nouns, verbs, etc., . The patent structure differs, but the latent structure is similar. He thinks that we humans instinctually have langauge.

I think your ex was studying linguistics. The lithmus test is her income. Speech pathologists ride the health care gravy train. Linguists go mostly to academia.

11. a) It's Vielen dank not vielen danke
    b) It's Gute nacht not Guten nacht

12. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    ...or ask her to demonstrate a bilabial dental fricative. If she gives you a dirty look, she probably studies cosmetology. If she give you a sly smile and places a fingertip in her mouth, she may be working her way through school the hard way. :eek:

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    guten tag, ich habe nicht das rotkopf...

really, that makes no sense but it's all i can muster this early. i do not even know if the syntax is correct.

14. I also vote for Linguistics.

I was going to do it at Uni, it looks really interesting, and I might yet go and do it if I ever get enough grades to get in.

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California

Eh, für jemand der beinah niemals schreibt im deutsch, tu ich nicht so übel, glaube ich. Zumindestens gib mir das.;)

Vielen dank für die lektion!

16. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Looks like the foreign language forum idea JT suggested a while back has finally happened :D

17. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Uh, yeah. What he said.;)

Unfortunately my German is the only thing rustier than my Russian

Do svedanya, malchiki!

Peace,

James

18. THAT'S THE ONE!!! Thanks Hogani!

And interestingly enough, I was wonder what a dipthong was.

19. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    nope ;) those are consonant blends.. dipthongs are vowel blends like the vowel sounds: oy, ay, ow, oh, eye.

you can't decipher between an SLP and linguistics major by what they studied because every SLP needs to study linguistics (the more they work with english as a second language clients, the more linguistics they need.) if she ever mentioned therapy she is more likely an SLP. and while some of us do work with children exclusively, we don't all work with kids with lisps and cleft palates. we can work with adults with swallowing disorders, stroke patients, cancer patients, TBI victims and numerous other reasons as well including english as a 2nd language...

and yes phonology is the way we learn the rules of language... ;)