Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone know what the New Mesa amps are like?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SONICATTACK, Aug 6, 2002.

1. SONICATTACK

SONICATTACK

Sep 26, 2001
    in the sun
    I was just wondering if anyone has tried or own's the new Mesa Bass amps.... I was thinking of re-tooling my bass rig soon (maybe in a few years) and I was looking at the New mesa amps.

Thanks

2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I assume you mean the M-Pulse series-
    360/600/& WalkAbout-
    Personally, I think Mesa has one of the best built
    and best sounding heads on the market-
    I owned the WalkAbout, & it was great-Plenty of headroom, great eq, LOUD, all with a great range of tone. The larger units are essentially the same, with added features (compressor, wider eq) & more power.
    The newer Powerhouse cabs use PAS drivers-& sounded excellent to me- Everyone has their personal choices-
    I went "old-school "with a Mesa tube head (Buster)-
    but would recommend the M-Pulse hybrids without hesitation.
    Try them if you get a chance & see if the sound is right for you.

3. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I guess I'm something of an "amp snob" as I use Demeter and SWR preamps and Stewart power amps. I'm hard to please when it comes to amps and I really like the Walkabout. It sounds great to me.

Chuck

4. WalkAbouts have great tone, are very light and pack some serious punch to boot!

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Agree on the Walkabout. Very nice.

All things considered, the 400+ is still my favorite current-production bass amp.

6. I got me the 360, and the first thing I noticed was the big round bottom, and clarity. I love the tone, and the 360 Watts is louder than 800 Eden watts (They both peak at 1200W, correct me if I'm wrong!) I got mine set to sound as clear as SWR, but you can change the sound allot. It's tone is Very versatile. I'm running it through the PAS loaded 1x15 and love how the 1x15 sounds. I think maybe the SWR sound is helped by the cab, because they also use PAS drivers. You should really try one. :cool:

7. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    I'm 17 and am in an indie rock band I don't know if many people on here are along those lines but if it helps i've got a 400+ and a powerhouse 1000 and it's great. My band plays some things sometimes that are pretty big and aren't always equipped with the best pa and this amp seems to be able to handle just about anything, after practice today at 2 i don't think anything will make it go past 4 but anyways it sounds very full and well rounded and very clear at high volumes so that was a big plus for me. One thing I think you'll like is Mesa seems to have one of the best quality control and customer service of any amp maker if not the best. I wouldn't give up mine for anything.
    P.S. I have an older model diesel powerhouse 1000 and can pick it up rather easily, it's not as tremendously heavy as i thought after reading on here.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Cool rig, man! When I was 17, I was saddled with a Hofner and a sixties Bassman. But that was a LONG time ago...:D

9. I might have given the impression that an SWR is really what I want, but thats not true. I just wanted to lit you know how versatile, and how clean and clear you can sound. You could make a big heavy sound, go flat, or maybe more like an ampeg or eden type sound. Go for the warmth , the mud, the beef, or the cool finger noise when the treble is up. The treble is really pleasing on this thing. It also has a very nice growl with it's overdrive, I would describe it as kind of a round growl, but I'm not good at describing sounds. Anothing that is hard to describe is how the punch seemed to change when I got this head. The Punch Punched through!