Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone know what's in ampeg cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by uarethecatalyst, Dec 19, 2004.

1. uarethecatalyst

uarethecatalyst

Dec 19, 2004
    I am building my own SVT-610FLH.

On the ampeg website there is a angled view of the cab and it is see-through. It apears that there are levels between each level of speakers.

Do you guys know if these levels are air tight, have holes, or even exist in the construction?

Also, does ampeg insulate their cabs with polyfill or anything?

----thank's so much!

O! one more thing, could someone tell me the angle of the slops that the bar and casters are attached too.

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I believe those are braces to dampen cab resonances. The cab is only ported at one place and I dont think the two upper chambers are closed. The Ampeg cabs I´ve had where stuffed with some kind of polyfill.
    What speakers are you going with (Brand, model)? Just curious cause Ive been thinking of building a 6x10 myself.

BTW the sealed 810 has sealed chambers with two tens in each.

3. Go to the AMPEG website and download the SVT610HLF manual in pdf format it shows the dimensions and layout.

Its a front ported cab at the bottom and is different to the svt810 in as much as it doesnt have separate internal boxes for each speaker like the svt810.

This cab is far too boomy in my opinion, its loaded with Eminence speakers 100w each i think and a crappy horn that sounds pants.

4. uarethecatalyst

uarethecatalyst

Dec 19, 2004

I have an ampeg 4x10 mid - late 70's right now and i am going to use those four speakers and buy 2 elctro-harmoix svt10's at this place. I am kinda wing'n it. I have never built a cab before, but i think i can do it.

http://www.turnstyle.com/nsc/catalog.asp?raster=B83E.0x95F808EA9AE05D04.CD74.0.05D7

5. Is it the B40 model?

6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Cement? :D

122 lbs! :eek:
    -Art

7. :smug:

8. uarethecatalyst

uarethecatalyst

Dec 19, 2004
    no, its real wierd. it is the bottom half of a 8x10 that some guy chopped in half and sold complete to my friend. i only had enough money at the time for one, so he sold the other one to some other kid, never to be reunited. It still has the original grill cloth, but the logo was on the top half.