1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anyone know where I can find a Telecaster Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by justinellison3, Apr 3, 2013.

1. justinellison3

justinellison3

Nov 9, 2012
    Title says it... lol

I want a Tele bass. One with the humbucker(s) in it. I looked at the Modern Player but I want my next bass to be a REALLY good one. I want great craftsmanship quality and I would love a vintage bass. If anyone can help me find one for sale I'd really appreciate it :)

2. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    eBay

3. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Check out a G&L ASAT Bass. Two humbuckers and the body is actually shaped like a Tele.

4. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    What are you looking to spend?

5. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    Ebay

6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
  7. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
  8. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    There was a foam mute glued under the bridge cover for the E string so it was quite common at the time for bass players to flip the cover around .

9. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Interesting!

You learn something every day!

10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Are you looking for an actual Telecaster Bass, or simply a bass that looks like a Telecaster?

Actual: Ebay or classifieds, and patience.
    Looks like: G&L ASAT

11. Dr Goggles

Dr Goggles

Jun 4, 2012
    Not wanting to rain on your parade or anything, but I had a 1968 Telecaster bass and it was awful. Heavy ugly and dull sounding. The modern ones may be better. Go in with your eyes and ears open.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I bet Nino Valenti could build you something like that.

13. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    I'd buy an original to collect but the pricing is just so out there. An ASAT is far more useful as a working bass.

14. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    You must have had a dud, then. This is my '68 Tele. It's 9lbs (which I consider light), looks great, and sounds good.
    Much as I like it, though, I'd have a very hard time spending the money it would take to buy one today.

dscn0058i.

15. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I have a Made In China Modern Telecaster Bass, and while it is completely inauthentic, it produces a huge sound.

16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I want one too. So I can be cool!

17. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    What are your thoughts on the Modern Tele bass? Cheers.

18. Here, let me help you out. :eyebrow:

"while it is completely inauthentic, it produces a huge sound"

19. He's after a "tele II" with the humbucker at neck.
    I got a '74 & love it. Sure you ain't getting any slappy tops outta it, but for pure bass, & feel it's a beauty.
    image-1350209388246-V.

2012-07-14134049.

20. Under all 4 strings on my old '74.

OP:

I did a side-by-side with my old bass teacher's '74 and my Squier. The difference in the sound was that the Squier was a little harsher and I daresay a little hotter. I think the Squier's pickup will mellow with time like all AlNiCos eventually do and end up sounding nearly identical to how a 70's humbucker does now. But that's gonna be two decades from now.

You could do a custom build with b.hefner parts (they make the old Tele / '51 P square heel that most other parts people don't) with that pickup and get a killer build going for FAR less than a vintage bass would cost.