Does anyone know where to buy a small fan? To cool off an SM-900

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I have a SWR SM-900 and it seems to run really hot. I was thinking of buying a fan with a clip on it to clip on my rack and face it toward the back of the amp.
  2. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    I've got my SWR Power 750 and Interstellar Overdrive in separate racks with a vent panel above and below each unit. The Power 750 lives in a 5-space rack, the Stella in a 3-space. Looks really nice with Raxxess's mesh vent panels, and the convection generated by the units themselves should be plenty of cooling--they don't actually get that hot, anyway, but I heard that the Stella's get hot due to the two EL84 power tubes. Granted this makes for a large-sized package, but I also use the Stella for guitar, so I need the flexibility, too.

Alternatively, Raxxess also offers 3-fan vent panels for racks, but you'd have to get fans and wire them yourself.

Otherwise, you should be able to find a cheap clip-on office cubby fan at one the big retailers (Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, etc.).

Just make sure you have a vent panel in the front of your rack so the hot air has some place to go.
  3. I have a single space EV Dynacord power amp that is convection cooled. I think it's really ment for studio use but it ended up being my bass power amp through some turn of stuff. It got hot to the touch and I worried about it. I had it in a SKB 4 space rack with a preamp, wireless, and a power conditioner. I went to Radio shack and bought a small computer fan that was made to run on 120v. I had a hard time deciding how to mount it to effectively cool the unit. I ended up mounting it flat against the rear side of the rack. I put about an inch of rubber washers between the rack and the fan on the mounting screws. This gave it enough relief to be able to draw. What it did was circulate fresh air inside the rack. The amp cooled down dramatically.
  4. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I have the perfect product from a famous music gear retailer;) ...

Walmart, $7...6" fan that clips on the back of my rack and can adjust it up/down, etc.
  5. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    You can buy small "muffin" fans at just about any place that sells electrical components. They normally run at 12 or 24 volts, so you may need a small transformer.

They come in a range of sizes, voltages and how much they suck (or blow), they should only be a few dollars.

Try Radio Shack first, if they don't have anything then any of the bigger component stores such as Farnell Farnell or Digikey Digi-Key

As mentioned before make sure that the hot air has somewhere to go.

Hope this helps.
  6. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    My WallyWorld fan worked great for my SM400S.
  7. 810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    just be sure which way your amp fan is blowing.

i have an swr bass 350, and the fan blows out the back of the amp. the 1st time i used a clip on fan, i hooked it to the back of the amp, blowing heat back INTO the amp.

ummm, not the smartest move i ever damage though..
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    My amp vents from the sides. So I ended up drilling a whole bunch of small holes into the side of my SKB rack, just to give the hot air an easier passage of escape. It worked a treat. But be carefull where you drill, you might hit something structural and ruin a perfectly good SKB.
  9. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Yeah, an SKB ain't exactly giving them things away.
  10. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The SM-900 internal fan vents to the sides, so putting holes in the side of the rack would help some. Mine seems to get really hot, too. I don't worry about it too much, since my old SWR Basic Black combo used to get REALLY hot and it had no fan, vents, or anything. Never had any problem, never replaced the preamp tube on it.

What bugs me, a bit, is the fact that SWR recommends that you leave the fan running after you're done playing, until it shuts off on it's own. That is totally impractical, as I need to start tearing equipment down at the end of the last set.

Maybe I will look into the WalMart fan option, to keep it cooler while it is in action, since the post-play cooldown is something I rarely have the luxury of.
  11. I have to run a large "squirrel cage" fan to keep my SM-500 from overheating and shutting off. Damn I hate that... always right in the middle of a show.
  12. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    Go to McMaster-Carr and search on "Cooling Fans", they have quite a few in different voltages.