Does Anyone know where to find a good transcription of "Black Market"?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NeoTrotskyist, Apr 11, 2001.

1. NeoTrotskyist

Apr 2, 2001
    I'm looking for a tab/sheet music of Weather Report's Black Market. I've got most of the song down, but towards the end he starts doing some crazy things that i can't figure out.
  2. Hi there. There is a transcription book of "8:30". It is probably out of print, and I have a copy of it somewhere, but I have been moving and it is packed away in a box (one of about 50!). If I find it, I will get you the info- publisher and such.

I'll give it a hunt in the next day or so......
  3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have a book called "The Best of Weather Report" from Warner Brothers Publications (#IF0088). It has a transcription of "Black Market" in it. To tell you the truth, I've never really tried to copy the bass line-I learned the melody line on guitar. The melody line transcribed in the book has a few errors I noticed. "Black Market" is a truly incredible example of the expressive possibilities that are hidden within the pentatonic scale!

I actually learned the melody by ear, before I had a chance to see it in the book, and I greatly improved my listening skills by keeping at it for hours until I had it note-perfect. There were a couple of phrases that I had to listen to repeatedly-like 2 or 3 bars for 5 minutes, until I could sing them and then transfer them to the guitar! I'm not saying you should beat yourself over the head but you might be surprised at how much you can improve your ear by figuring out "impossible" licks.

By the way-didn't both Alphonso Johnson and Jaco play on the album? Does anyone know which songs feature who?
  4. NeoTrotskyist

Apr 2, 2001
    Thanks. I know that Alphonso Johnson played on Black Market, but I don't know about the rest of the songs on the album. I've also heard a live version of Black Market with Jaco, and even though Jaco is amazing, I think Alphonso Johnson (also amazing) did a better job with the song.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

From reading the Milkowski biography it sounds like Jaco only played on two tracks. He was brought in by Zawinul to play on "Cannonball" as he wanted a "Florida" sound and Jaco contributed a tune after he was hired to replace Johnson who had announced he was going to tour with an "All-Stars" band and hence leave Weather Report - this other track is "Barbary Coast".
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...pretty sure it was Alphonso on the Black Market record(without a doubt, it's Jaco on "Barbary Coast" & "Cannonball"); Jaco is doin' "Black Market" live on one of the Havana Jam double-discs.
    I forget; is "Black Market" also on 8:30?
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - this is the track that opens the CD on my copy and is a really great version (9'46") - the band really grooves on this and Jaco playing is a great example of his best work. Lines that always groove and push the band, which show great originality and virtuosity without soloing or being really flashy. This track was recorded on the part of the tour that was in England and some friends of mine were actually there in Newcastle and then came down to London, so they followed all the gigs!

I think we've had this discussion before because I remember mentioning how UK pros like Norman Watt-Roy were in the audience and Norman mentioned how they were all blown away by Jaco's playing and he managed to get some of this in the track he was working on, which was "Hit me with your Rhythm Stick" - by Ian Dury and the Blockheads which went to No 1 in the charts in the UK!
  8. RichGlass

Apr 18, 2001
    The ending of Black market goes into 15/16 feel. In other words, a sixteenth note is being dropped every measure. I would try slowing the song down with some computer program. That process may let you hear all the intricate syncopation better.