Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anyone know who wrote...The red baron?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Fret-less Six, Nov 6, 2004.

1. I have victor live at bass day...and the last piece he plays with oteil is called "The red baron" I was wondering if anyone knew who originally wrote this song, and where I could get tab/sheet music to try and learn it

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    It's written by Billy Cobham, and is on the album 'Spectrum'.

3. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

None of that worked for me and I've never heard the Bass Day thing - but the Red Baron on Bill Cobham's Spectrum is one of the simplest bass lines ever!! The main part has like a basic repeating riff that only has two notes in it G and C - which is then just improvised upon and built up, till you get a little tag line and then back to the riff.

I'm sure any half-decent bass player would get the idea in about 30 seconds of hearing the track and be playing along with it - to me this epitomises the waste of time of searching for Tabs - just listen and play it!! Far easier!! ;)

5. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Yeah, for the most part, it is just the same thing over G7 C7, and if you look at that link, trust your ears. But I think if it helps you figure it out, then a flawed chart is better than nothing at all. It's not like it is completely wrong or something.

And there's nothing wrong with looking at a chart AND listening and playing it. Just because you find something easy, that means other people shouldn't be able to look at the chart? What about the non-half-decent bass players?